appreciate you/your leaving a message

< Previous | Next >

Luciaz

Spanish - Argentina
Hi everybody,
Can please somebody tell me if these sentences are correct? I've found both on the internet, but the first one is far more common. In any case, is one more formal than the other?

We would appreciate you leaving a comment on our message board.
We would appreciate your leaving a comment on our message board.

Another question, is it OK to say "we would appreciate that you leave your comments ..."?
Thanks for your help.
Lucía

• KateNicole

English (USA)
    Luciaz said:
    Hi everybody,
    Can please somebody tell me if these sentences are correct? I've found both on the internet, but the first one is far more common. In any case, is one more formal than the other?

We would appreciate you leaving a comment on our message board.
    We would appreciate your leaving a comment on our message board.

Another question, is it OK to say "we would appreciate that you leave your comments ..."?
    Thanks for your help.
    Lucía
    Hi. I think that all "sound" correct to a native speaker, although I'm not 100% sure about "your leaving a message" (but I have heard that construction many, many times.) Hope it helps.

Chris K

English / US
    "We would appreciate your leaving a comment on our message board" is considered better English, although one often hears it the other way. "We would appreciate that you leave your comments" is not right however; you must say "we would appreciate it if you would leave your comments."

nohablo

English - USA
    ChrisK is correct. The grammar books all say that in formal English, one should use the possessive case for a noun or pronoun preceding a gerund (e.g., "What was the excuse for his being late?"). In my experience, however, more people use the more informal objective case (e.g., "What was the excuse for him being late?").

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
    Dear Mr.Chris, friends: In an exercise of Gerunds Vs. Infinitives I put: "I appreciate you to help me" And the answer resulted incorrect. Then I investigated that "appreciate" is in the list of verbs used with gerunds...But hat is strict?
    "We appreciate you helping me." was the correct answer.
    How to teach this to my student? They have just to memorize the list of verbs and practice I guess?:b Thanks for your help!

micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    "I appreciate your helping me" is supposedly the correct way to say it, but in the spoken language you'll hear "I appreciate you helping me"

I'm afraid you must memorize which verbs are followed by a gerund and which are followed by an infinitive. :eek:

The following rule might help you a little bit but it doesn't cover all the verbs:

Verbs that express something you like or dislike, use a gerund:

Like - dislike - love - hate (I'm sure there are others) = I like/dislike/love/hate flying.

There are many other verbs that use a gerund and those have to be memorized.

Verbs that refer to something that might happen in the future use an infinitive:

Want - plan - promise - attempt - expect - threaten and many more = I plan/expect/want to go on vacation soon

However, as I said before, most will have to be memorized..

:)

< Previous | Next >