Apprenticeship - practice

< Previous | Next >

Ben Jamin

Polish
Hello,
I have recently had a discussion with some non-native English language people about the use of word "practice" in the meaning "apprenticeship" or "trainee program".
I argued that "practice" used in this meaning will rather not be understood by native speakers because it is not used in this specific meaning, the others disagreed.
Native speakers, what is your opinion?

• Andygc

British English
    Do you have a sentence in mind? It is difficult to see how practice can be used in reference to an apprenticeship. And an apprenticeship is not a trainee programme.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    Do you have a sentence in mind? It is difficult to see how practice can be used in reference to an apprenticeship. And an apprenticeship is not a trainee programme.
    Well, I have to compose a sentence, for example 'I had my summer practice in the factory producing cars'. (Could be uttered by a student of engineering that has had a short period of work on special conditions performing tasks of varying complexity under supervision of an experienced employee).

Chez

English English
    It really depends on what the students/teachers at the college/establishment call this period.

I agree with heypresto for BE. Depending on its exact nature it could be: paid/unpaid work experience.

Szkot

UK English
    It might also be referred to as a work placement, as in 'Brunel's civil engineering degrees give you the option to go on a one-year work placement to get real-world work experience while you study.

Uncle Jack

British English
    I had to undergo a number of compulsory practical training or experience sessions as part of my academic and professional training as an engineer. "Practice" was one of the terms used by organisations requiring these sessions, but never on its own. Everyone engaged in these sessions used whatever name the accrediting body gave it, so we might refer to "manufacturing practice 1" for instance (this isn't a real title, but they tended to be things like this). Of course, this would make no sense to anyone from outside, so with friends and family I would use an everyday term, such as training course or work placement or, sometimes, simply work: I spent the summer working on a car assembly line, for example. Or I went on a four-week welding course.

< Previous | Next >