approach <to engaging> in trade

< Previous | Next >

farsi
hello everyone, I read the following sentence, the thing is I am not sure about the correctness of the sentence:
" In the third and the second millennia B.C. long-distance trade supposedly had the character of an expedition. By the start
of the last millennium B.C., however, a new approach to engaging in such trade emerged."
because there is gerund after "to".
sentence

• lucaseinhorn

English - America
    This is correct. A simpler sentence using the same correct construction might read: "I'm using a new approach to making new friends." In this construction, "making" is the object of the verb "to" found in the second clause of the second sentence.

I don't see a problem. Consider. "Dr. X taught me a new approach to swimming." :tick: 'to' is a preposition--disagreeing with lucas.

================
    {lucas}
    This is correct. A simpler sentence using the same correct construction might read: "I'm using a new approach to making new friends." In this construction, "making" is the object of the verb "to" found in the second clause of the second sentence.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The gerund 'engaging' functions as a noun, and so 'engaging' can follow a preposition such as 'to'.

I hope this helps answer your question.

< Previous | Next >