approaches to / in the development of

Ma_linka

Russian
Hi everyone, I have a sentence here:

The approaches are described in the field of spectroscopy of α-decays and to the development of control systems to ensure fail-safety when conducting experiments.

I need to say that approches in the field of spectroscopy of a-decays and approaches to the development of control systems are described.
Thank you!

• JustKate

Moderate Mod
    Ma-linka, are you saying that is your own sentence - that you are the writer?

As for your immediate question, I don't know anything about the field you're writing about, but I can say that "approaches to the development of ____" is a fairly unusual structure. Is there a particular reason why you shouldn't just use "approaches in the development of ____"?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's right that normally you can bring the verbs forward to get them out of the way before the much longer preposition phrases, but if you do it in this case, 'are described' followed by 'in' could be misleading: as in, 'are described in this paper'. Safety (or a freeway) can have approaches to it, but 'approaches are described to safety' sounds even worse than the one with 'in', which is merely potentially misleading. The sentence needs to be simplified or recast.

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    It's right that normally you can bring the verbs forward to get them out of the way before the much longer preposition phrases, but if you do it in this case, 'are described' followed by 'in' could be misleading: as in, 'are described in this paper'. Safety (or a freeway) can have approaches to it, but 'approaches are described to safety' sounds even worse than the one with 'in', which is merely potentially misleading. The sentence needs to be simplified or recast.
    I agree. It might be better to break it up into two sentences, if that's possible.

< Previous | Next >