Appropriations, regional plants, reorganization of departments ...

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
Hello, everybody. I am reading A Sand County Almanac, by Aldo Leopold, and I doubt how to interpret the nouns "appropriations" and "departments" in the following passage: "Because the wild things he hunts for have eluded his grasp, and he hopes by some necromancy of laws, appropriations, regional plants, organization of departments, or other form of mass-wishing to make them stay put".
Is the author including "appropriations" as an act of providing money, or as an annexation of..., or...? and, on the other hand, "department" as the field of one's activity, or an organized subdivision, or...
I am ashamed of myself, but I have to confess I am completely lost. I will be most grateful if you provide some clue or, better still, a full explanation.
Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I think it* is simply a list of some possible attributes/actions of a "government" and its operation.

*"some necromancy of laws, appropriations, regional plants, organization of departments, or other form of mass-wishing"

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "Because the wild things he hunts for have eluded his grasp, and he hopes by some necromancy of laws, appropriations, regional plants, organization of departments, or other form of mass-wishing to make them stay put".

This isn't a sentence. It reduces to

"Because the wild things he hunts for have eluded his grasp, and he hopes ... to make them stay put".

Some context would help. Who is "he" and what problems has "he" been facing?

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    To PaulQ

I do not exactly know what context would help, but I will try to enclose some: "Why, it may be asked, should such a diversity of folk be bracketed in a single category? Because each, in his own way, is a hunter. And why does each call himself a conservationist? Because the wild things he hunts for have eluded his grasp, and he hopes by some necromancy of laws, appropriations, regional plants, organization of departments, or other form of mass-wishing to make them stay put.” <——-Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)——->

I do not know if this helps. Unfortunately, I cannot find the way to cut and paste, so I have to type the text, so I hope you got enough to cast some light. Thanks, PaulQ, for your efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    Hello. I was wondering, just now, if the word "plant" in the context, refers to a living organism or to a factory.

Orble

Australian English
    Because the wild things he hunts for have eluded his grasp, and he hopes by some necromancy of laws, appropriations, regional plants, organization of departments, or other form of mass-wishing to make them stay put"​

It is a strange sentence but I do see it as a sentence. The conservationist hopes to make the wild things he seeks after but can’t gasp, stay put (stay as they are and where they are), using laws, administrative bodies and public support(?) to do so.

I am also puzzled by “regional plants” in the list of government actions. It surely can’t mean factories. Perhaps it’s either meant to be regional conservation plans or a reference to “plantings” of regional plants in order to preserve them.

lzarzalejo73

Spanish
    Thank you, Orble. I think, all in all, the message is clear. Let us hope someone comes up with a "sensible" (not that yours was not reasonable) interpretation of "regional plants".
    It is surely a challenging task trying to read such an outstanding piece of literature. I am enjoying every bit of it.
    I only hope to be able to go all the way through, with WR members' help, like you.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Thanks for the extra, with that the because clauses become understandable. But
    Why, it may be asked, should such a diversity of folk be bracketed in a single category?
    who this “diversity of folk”? [Edit: I suspect it may be "those who have some power in these matters" but I cannot be sure.]
    Because each, in his own way, is a hunter. And why does each call himself a conservationist?
    Hunters often claim to be “conservationists” – the logic is that if they do not “conserve” sufficient numbers, they will not be able to hunt.

Because the wild things he [‘he’ refers to an individual from “the diversity of folk”] “hunts for” have eluded his grasp, and he hopes by some necromancy of [vague, magical, and ill-defined introduction and action of some sort of]
    1. laws, -> protective legislation
    2. appropriations, -> compulsory purchases of land by government to be set aside as habitats
    3. regional plants, -> I agree with Orble: the planting of endangered species
    4. organization of departments, -> cooperation between departments
    5. or other form of mass-wishing -> nuance to mean “or any other improbable and impractical action
    to make them stay put. -> to force the wildlife to remain extant in an area and in numbers.

Recreation is commonly spoken of as an economic resource. Senate committees tell us, in reverent cyphers, how many millions the public spends in its pursuit"...

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >