Approve and Ratify in the same sentence

< Previous | Next >

Zasso

Italian
Dear all,

I'm preparing the minutes of the last board of managers held at my company.

It's the first time for me and I checked the last ones to help myself.
In the "resolutions" sometimes it is written "the board approved and ratified.....".

I know the difference between the two words, what I don't understand is if it's possible to use both words in the same sentence.

Ratify means "to approve and give formal sanction to...", so I suppose that "the board approved and ratified....." is not correct, isn't it?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Zasso

• sdgraham

USA English
    Good point, but ...

At least in the U.S., lawyers and bureaucrats often write in redundant language, apparently just to ensure that nobody can twist meanings.

Such usage is overwhelming among those kinds of people and in legal and bureaucratic contexts.

You will surely go mad if you let it bother you .:)

Good luck.

Zasso

Italian
    Good point, but ...

At least in the U.S., lawyers and bureaucrats often write in redundant language, apparently just to ensure that nobody can twist meanings.

Such usage is overwhelming among those kinds of people and in legal and bureaucratic contexts.

You will surely go mad if you let it bother you .:)

Good luck.
    So do you suggest me to keep it as it is (with the 2 words)?

I mean, if it's not a mistake I can use the draft although is redundance.

Thanks

sdgraham

USA English
    So do you suggest me to keep it as it is (with the 2 words)?

I mean, if it's not a mistake I can use the draft although is redundance.

Thanks
    I can only suggest that you follow the wording of the subject resolution ... otherwise you're straying into legal issues.

gramman

I think minutes are approved if they are accepted as an accurate recounting of what occurred in a meeting, and then ratified if actions taken (in this case, resolutions adopted) are formally enacted.

Myridon

English - US
    It's also possible that "approval" and "ratification" are two separate steps in some process and that they did both approve and ratify it.

Zasso

Italian
    Thanks you all for the answers.

I think I can leave the draft as it is (with both approved and ratified) although in the agenda was written
    "1. Acknowledgment and ratification of the minutes of the board meeting held on 21 February 2013"
    and not Approve and ratification

But if it's not a mistake I'll use that form

Regards

< Previous | Next >