approximately 25 years old

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
Dear friends, is it possible to use "approximately" with your age? I was helping a friend with the use of the present perfect, but naturally, she added: "approximately" and her age..which can be a little odd to me...
Speaking context: "I have lived here since I was born, approximately 25 years old...."
I checked the Longman Dictionary and I didn't find similar examples.
Thanks for your suggestions :)

• Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    Since I was born, approximately 25 years old. :cross:
    Since I was born, approximately 25 years ago :tick:

But it sounds odd because 'approximately 25 years ago' suggests that she does not know exactly when she was born.

gato radioso

spanish-spain
    ¿No te serviría algo como..:
    ... around/about 25 years.
    ... for 25 years more or less.
    ... just about 25 years ago
    ?

Gisellee

Spanish-Peru
    Was your friend translating from Spanish? Did she use "aproximadamente" in the Spanish sentence? If so, what was the rest of the sentence?
    It was a speech about her personal presentation. I suppose she thinks in Spanish because she's Peruvian, and me too haha :B She continued with "I'm a zootechnical engineer, I studied at Agraria University ..." By the way, I was investigating if "zootechnical" can be the correct word...:B

gengo

American English
    Since I was born, approximately 25 years old. :cross:
    Since I was born, approximately 25 years ago :tick:

But it sounds odd because 'approximately 25 years ago' suggests that she does not know exactly when she was born.
    It doesn't sound odd to me. The speaker obviously knows when she was born, but may not know exactly how long ago that was. In fact, I bet if I asked you exactly how long ago you were born, you wouldn't be able to answer without doing some calculating. That certainly applies to me.

So while the woman knows for certain that she is 25 years old, she is saying that her birth occurred somewhat more than 25 years in the past, maybe 25 years, eight months, and three days, for instance.

Naturally, I completely agree with your correction of "old" to "ago" above.