Après la fête, la défaite!

djweaverbeaver

English Atlanta, GA USA
Hi everyone,

I've come to learn the expression "Après la fête, la défaite!" (which by the way, I've been able to use on various occasions ;)), and I was wondering if we have an equivalent or something similar in English. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

• Squiggle

English - UK
    What is the expression supposed to mean? Are we talking about the morning after the night before, pride comes before a fall, fallen heroes? I've just asked a Frenchman and he has no idea either!!

djweaverbeaver

English Atlanta, GA USA
    It's along the lines of what archijacq suggested "from reveling to unraveling". It means that after a night of partying, good times and whatnot, when the next day rolls around, you have to deal with the consequences (being hungover or exhausted, going to work or shool after an hour or two of shut-eye, clean your trashed apartment, etc.). I'm not sure whether it's used outside of the context of partying, but that's the meaning here.

poorBear

FRENCH
    It's along the lines of what archijacq suggested "from reveling to unraveling". It means that after a night of partying, good times and whatnot, when the next day rolls around, you have to deal with the consequences (being hungover or exhausted, going to work or shool after an hour or two of shut-eye, clean your trashed apartment, etc.). I'm not sure whether it's used outside of the context of partying, but that's the meaning here.
    :thumbsup: I agree with you.

< Previous | Next >