april come she will

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by gia, Feb 19, 2006.

1. gia Member

italy
    Licenze poetiche a parte, cosa significa April come she will? Chi è questa She? Potrebbe essere una farfalla o simili?
    Ovviamente sto parlando della canzone di Simon & Garfunkel....

2. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Hi gia,

April come she will from what I can gather from the context just means that love will come in April. It's pretty obvious from the last part of that song:

August, die she must,
    The autumn winds blow chilly and cold;
    September I´ll remember.
    A love once new has now grown old.

3. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    I think linguistically the "she" in that line is April, as all months are personified in the song, but the metaphor running through the song is the cycle of love.

April come she will
    May, she will stay,
    June, she’ll change her tune,
    July, she will fly
    August, die she must,
    September I’ll remember

4. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Do you Lsp?
    I think it's talking about the stages that love goes through. Love comes in April, stays through June, changes her tune in June, disappears in July and finally dies in August, and in September he'll remember that love that has now gone.
    I'll give Art a call and see what he really meant. :)

5. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    We agree about the song's meaning. But I feel it is being conveyed through the metaphor of the passing of the months, and in using that device, the verbs in the sentence agree with the month, as a matter of grammar. But maybe I am too literal.:)

6. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    April come she will
    May, she will stay,
    June, she’ll change her tune,
    July, she will fly
    August, die she must,
    The autumn winds blow chilly and cold;
    September I´ll remember.
    A love once new has now grown old.

To me it means this means that love came in April and went through the different stages and eventually died because he then summarizes by saying A love once new has grown old.

7. disegno

disegno Senior Member

San Francisco
    United States English
    sono d'accordo con LSP ...she = the month

8. gia Member

italy
    APRIL COME SHE WILL: A child's counting rhyme, a cuckoo calling, a country walk, a changing love, a changing year, a tune that lilts like soft wings across the trees.

La mia confusione è stata generata da questo.. E' una nota da "The Paul Simon Songbook" del 1965...
    Comunque, opto per l'ipotesi di Charles, che facilita la traduzione.

9. sueism New Member

English -USA
    Simon and Garfunkel "April Come She Will"
    Is simply about the coming of a season (spring = April come she will) and the ending of a season with the beginning of a new season (fall = September I remember).
    It's about the seasons, simply put.

10. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    It's about more than just the seasons. This website says about the song:

Utilizing the changing seasons as a metaphor for the capriciousness of a girl, "April Come She Will" was used very effectively in the film The Graduate and its soundtrack. Written in England in 1964 following a brief affair that Paul Simon had during his stay there, the lyrics were inspired by a nursery rhyme that the girl in question recited.

The changing seasons is merely a metaphor for the love affair he had in England and describes the different stages it went through until it ended.

P.S. This is the original nursery rhyme:

The cuckoo comes in April
    She sings her song in May
    In June she changes her tune
    In July she prepares to fly
    In August go she must.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  11. sueism New Member

English -USA
    but isn't this a metaphor for a metaphor? Birth and Death. Love and Loss. Seasons Changing. A love affair for the changing seasons, changing season for a love affair . . . I have listened to this song over and over for 30 years and I have come to believe that it is NOT about love, but about the shifting tides and the shifting seasons. To attach "The Graduate" to the song directly is to give the song less than it deserves. Then again, maybe I'm just a romantic.