April the twenty-fifth or April twenty-fifth

< Previous | Next >

vinci61

Chinese
April the twenty-fifth or April twenty-fifth, which one is the standard written form in English?
Somebody told me the first one is BrE, while the second one is AmE.
And someone thinks that in written form it should be April 25th and 25th April which all omit the definite article.

What do you think?:)

• suzi br

English / England
    I would say it is not the sort of thing that many native speakers take much care over, all of the versions are clear enough.

My own habit is to write the numerals, but I think lawyers etc might use the full form to avoid any fakery or ambiguity about the numerals in a legal context. I always SAY the article when I am talking about dates, so it looks odd to me to read the date without the article.

vinci61

Chinese
    I would say it is not the sort of thing that many native speakers take much care over, all of the versions are clear enough.

My own habit is to write the numerals, but I think lawyers etc might use the full form to avoid any fakery or ambiguity about the numerals in a legal context. I always SAY the article when I am talking about dates, so it looks odd to me to read the date without the article.
    Thank you:)

I think you have been correctly informed, vinci; but there are of course many other standard ways to express it too.
    Thank both of you.:)

Biffo

English - England
    The real difference between AE and BE becomes important when we write the date in numerals:

BE: 25/04/2014

AE: 04/25/2014

We can tell the difference because there is no 25th month.

Things become even more confusing when the day-number is twelve or less, e.g.

7/6/2014 - There is absolutely no way to be certain whether this means 7 June 2014 or 6 July 2014 unless you know whether this is AE or BE. You can imagine the problems of arranging an international meeting if the attendees are not aware of this difference.

suzi br

English / England
    Biffo is so right. This IS the really confusing thing about dates in numerals, and why using at least one written word (for the month) is helpful.

< Previous | Next >