aprobado regalado (educación)

unok-kun

Spanish (Spain)
How do you say "aprobado regalado" in English, in a middle school context?

For example, in Spain 5 out of 10 is a pass mark. However, some teachers would get you a 5 in the mark when your average in the tests is, say, 4.7. Or maybe when they're doubting whether to put a 4 or a 5, some would rather lean for a 5, especially if it's at the end of the school year.

Do you guys know if there's any equivalent for this in English? (preferably American English)

• nelliot53

Spanish-[PR]; English-[US]
    You are so close to the next higher number with 4.70 that you must round up to 5. If it was 4.60, then there would be doubt to round up to 5.
    Personally, I would have to take other things into consideration in order to round up from 4.60. See, in our system 0.60 is passing, but 0.59 is failure, so, like I said, I would have to take other aspects into consideration to give a passing grade.

unok-kun

Spanish (Spain)
    Well, it's not really rounding up, it's rather that when the student is right below the pass line, the teacher would pass him (because you know some parents overreact to failing marks). I don't know if I've made my point clear enough.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >