aprobado y en vigor

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by manicha, Nov 11, 2010.

1. manicha Senior Member

Spanish/Galician - Spain
    Hi,
    I have to translate the following sentence from Spanish to English:

Toda la planificación está aprobada y en vigor
    The whole planning has been sanctioned and is in force.

Is to provide legal guarantees, so I want to keep it rather formal.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    I would use "approved." "Sanctioned" is a weird word in English because it can mean both "approved" and "punished."

3. pops91710

pops91710 Senior Member

Chino, California
    English, AE
    The entire plan is approved and in force.

4. manicha Senior Member

Spanish/Galician - Spain
    The same in Spanish. When a law is sanctioned (una ley es sancionada) that means it has been approved. But if you are sanctioned (tú eres sancionado) that mean you have been penalized or fined :)

5. manicha Senior Member

Spanish/Galician - Spain
    I like very much "The entire", instead of "the whole". But I think it has to be planning, not plan. I am not talking about a programme or a scheme; it a set of approved regulations that have legal force, like a "urban planning".

6. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    You can say "the entire urban plan / regional plan," if you like, but "the entire planning" doesn't work.

7. pops91710

pops91710 Senior Member

Chino, California
    English, AE
    ...I am not talking about a programme or a scheme That is planning.
    ...it a set of is a plan. Ergo, plan, not planning.

8. manicha Senior Member

Spanish/Galician - Spain
    Chris K and pops91710, I think plan (plan) and planning (planificación) work completely the other way in Spanish and English, at least in this case.
    Plan urbanístico and Planificación urbanística are different think in Spanish. You make a "planificación urbanística" to get a "plan urbanístico" (or that is how it should be). Plan urbanístico is the final result, and it is one document, or several documents as a whole. Planificación urbanística is a proccess to turn an idea into a reality, in which consult experts, pass legal regulations and get the legal necesary tools to make the final plan.
    Wordreference dictionary offers Urban/Town planning as a translation for Planificación urbana, so I am getting confused :confused:

9. Chris K Senior Member

Tacoma WA, US
    English / US
    The process of urban planning can result in an urban plan, that is, a framework setting out areas to be developed, to be left open, etc. But you can't say "the entire planning," it would have to be, e.g., "the entire planning process" or something like that.

10. pops91710

pops91710 Senior Member

Chino, California
    English, AE
    I think Chris nailed it down. Only a planning process would fit here. It is the process to make a plan or authority to do the planning that has been sanctioned/authorized/approved seems to me to be what you are trying to say. (?) Right?

11. manicha Senior Member

Spanish/Galician - Spain
    Chris K and pops91710, thanks very much for your suggestions.
    I do not want to tell that the process is approved (that is, you are allowed to carry it out) but that we have followed all the compulsory legal procedures to get all documents approved, as a process.
    Maybe the problem is that when I read In English "The entire urban plan..." I think, in Spanish, "Todo el Plan urbanístico está aprobado y en vigor", and that makes no sense, since Plan urbanístico is a single document (maybe with some attachments). So, why "Todo"?.
    Anyway, I'll follow your advice and I'll go for "The entire urban plan".
    Thanks a lot.