aprobar un impuesto

Xixon

España, Español
Hello everybody!

To say that "se ha aprobado un nuevo impuesto", would we use the verb "pass", just like we would with a new law? Or is there another way to say it?

Thanks

• Xixon

España, Español
    Sorry, I should have quoted the context. It is an academic paper on economy that evaluates the use of tax income in different municipalities. The full sentence is:
    "In 2004, in the sample of 78 municipalities, only 10 had not approved the tax, whereas 9 had established the top rate of 4 per cent. "

Thank-you

nv1962

I'm not a big fan of linear translation, it doesn't always yield naturally flowing text. So, while you can say "no [lo] había aprobado" I'd recommend using the result: "no [lo] había adoptado"

Xixon

España, Español
    The problem is that it is not a translation, the paper has been written in English by a Spanish speaker and I have been asked to proofread it, so I have to find the best way to phrase the idea in English. What I have quoted is literally the sentence that appears in the paper, and I believe approve is not a good option there. Would the following sound better? I would to alter the original as little as possible, since it is a very specific subject and my corrections could change the concept.
    In 2004, in the sample of 78 municipalities, only 10 had not passed the tax, whereas 9 had established the top rate of 4 per cent.

nv1962

Ah.... OK. In that case, I'd go with the idea of "adopted" if I understand the idea correctly, that the "idea" of the tax in question originated somewhere else, and that it had a large degree of "legislative success" which, I think, is better expressed by the use of "adopting" the fiscal measure.

< Previous | Next >