aqueous fold

arturolczykowski

Polish
Hi,
What in this contest "aqueous fold" means?

Yet so vital was my residuary faith,
and so disturbed my conscience over my disregard of the divine ban, "Be ye not unequally yoked together with
unbelievers: ... what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?" (2 Cor. vi, 14, 15) that upon entering the holy
bonds I purposely backslid from my native Methodism, and took the plunge -- on a cold winter night – into the
Baptist communion, in the earnest hope of leading my new life partner (whose family were of that persuasion)
into that aqueous fold of Christ with me.

deeps of water?

• Andygc

British English
    The Baptist Church uses total immersion in water rather than just a wet finger or thumb on the forehead in its baptismal ceremony. The Christian churches use the concept of a flock (the church's members) being taken into a fold, so the Baptists have an aqueous fold.

ewie

English English
    Hullo Artur:) I don't know if the author intended it, or if anyone else here sees/hears it, but for me there's a very definite double- or even triple-meaning going on: as well as the 'sheepfold' idea Andy talks about, I get the image of the speaker being literally wrapped in the watery folds of Christ's robes or embrace during baptism:)

See definitions (4) and (5) of fold.

< Previous | Next >