Arabic سرمد sarmad

eskandar

English (US)
What is the etymology of the Arabic word سرمد sarmad ? Is it an originally Semitic word? If so, is there a root associated with it?

• berndf

German (Germany)
    I don't think it is an Arabic word at all. I only know it as a Persian (not Arabic) given name.

Accoring to Wikipedia the meaning of the name is eternal, everlasting.

fdb

French (France)
    Arabic sarmad means “eternal”. It occurs in the Qur’an 28:71 and 72. It does not have a transparent etymology.

fdb

French (France)
    I think that for Arabic-speaking Muslims a name with the meaning "eternal" would be considered decidedly sacrilegious.

Last edited:

Abu Talha

Urdu
    What is the etymology of the Arabic word سرمد sarmad ? Is it an originally Semitic word? If so, is there a root associated with it?
    Lane quotes a classical source saying it could be derived from سرد and on the pattern فعمل.
    In your opinion, why is it a mainly Persian name?
    I think that for Arabic-speaking Muslims a name with the meaning "eternal" would be considered decidedly sacrilegious.
    خالد is a common and attested name though. Could it be because traditional Arab names based on a concept like "eternity" (not eternal) are rare? Traditional Arab names have more of a participle meaning.

I.K.S.

Moroccan Arabic
    Lane quotes a classical source saying it could be derived from سرد and on the pattern فعمل.
    Correct ,it's quoted from تاج العروس when الفخر الرازي interpreted :
    أن اشتقاقَ السَّرْمد من السَّرْد وهو التَّوالي والتعاقُب . ولمَّا كان الزمانُ إِنما يَبْقَى بِتعاقُبِ أَجزائِه وكان ذلك مُسَمًّى بالسَّرْد أَدْخلوا عليه الميمَ الزائدة ليُفِيدَ المبالغةَ في ذلك انتهى قال : وعليه فَوَزْنُه : فَعْمَلٌ وموضعه سَرَدَ