Arabic/Persian/Urdu/Hindi/Gujarati/Punjabi: to fast

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
Stemming from this thread (I thought it's getting a bit off-topic), how would you say "I am fasting" in all of these languages? It is the verb used which I'm most interested in.

Arabic: أصوم
Urdu/Hindi: ميں نے روزا ركها ہے/मैने रोज़ा रखा है [maine rozaa rakhaa hai]
Gujarati: મે રોઝો રાખેલો છે [mé rozo raakhélo Che]

In Urdu/Hindi/Gujarati, what you're actually (literally) saying is "I have kept a fast".

• Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    I agree. Thanks for split. As for Iranian Persian:

fast: ruze [روزه] (it derives from ruz: day)

to fast: ruze gereftan [روزه گرفتن]: literally to take fast (as in to take a shower: dush gereftan)

to break one's fast: ruze-ye khod râ shekastan (shekastan: to break) [روزۀ خود را شکستن]

to keep one's fast: ruze-ye khod râ [negah] dâshtan [روزۀ خود را نگه داشتن]: literally to have one's fast i.e. not to break one's fast and keep it until sunset

to be fast: ruze budan [روزه بودن]. ruze-am or ruze hastam: I'm in fast, I'm keeping a fast.

not to fast deliberately: ruze-ye khod râ khordan [روزۀ خود را خوردن] (literally to eat one's fast)

dâr is present stem of dâshtan (to have). ruzedâr [روزه دار]: one having/keeping/being in fast. ruzedâri [روزه داری] is it's nominal form.

khor is present stem of khordan. ruzekhor [روزه خور]: one who eats his fast i.e. doesn't fast deliberately. It's rather derogatory. ruzekhori [روزه خوری] is it's nominal form.

doom9

USA
    United States (birth country)/India (English, Gujarati)
    I think in Gujarati it is:

હું ઉપવાસ કરું છું.
    Hun upvaas karu chhu.

doom9

USA
    United States (birth country)/India (English, Gujarati)
    That's it! I was trying to think of the proper Gujarati word, but it just wouldn't come to me because I'm so used to using the Urdu word in Gujarati. Thanks.

Another thing is that you spelt rozo as રોઝો and it's supposed to be રોજો rojo. Words in Hindi or Urdu that have an Arabic/Persian za sound and are also found in Gujarati are usually spelled with a જ, not ઝ, except for the word ghazal.

Abbassupreme

United States, English, Persian
    I agree. Thanks for split. As for Iranian Persian:

fast: ruze [روزه] (it derives from ruz: day)

to fast: ruze gereftan [روزه گرفتن]: literally to take fast (as in to take a shower: dush gereftan)

to break one's fast: ruze-ye khod râ shekastan (shekastan: to break) [روزۀ خود را شکستن]

to keep one's fast: ruze-ye khod râ [negah] dâshtan [روزۀ خود را نگه داشتن]: literally to have one's fast i.e. not to break one's fast and keep it until sunset

to be fast: ruze budan [روزه بودن]. ruze-am or ruze hastam: I'm in fast, I'm keeping a fast.

not to fast deliberately: ruze-ye khod râ khordan [روزۀ خود را خوردن] (literally to eat one's fast)

dâr is present stem of dâshtan (to have). ruzedâr [روزه دار]: one having/keeping/being in fast. ruzedâri [روزه داری] is it's nominal form.

khor is present stem of khordan. ruzekhor [روزه خور]: one who eats his fast i.e. doesn't fast deliberately. It's rather derogatory. ruzekhori [روزه خوری] is it's nominal form.

So is "rozeh" the same thing as "ruzeh"?

MarX

Banned
    Indonesian, Indonesia
    I think in Gujarati it is:

હું ઉપવાસ કરું છું.
    Hun upvaas karu chhu.
    I hope this is not too off-topic.

The Indonesian word for "fast" is puasa.
    The Gujarati word upvaas is somehow similar.
    Does puasa originate from Sanskrit then? Or rather from Gujarati?
    I remember at school we were taught that traders from Gujarat made strong imprints in Indonesia, especially in spreading Islam. (I always wondered about that because as far as I knew, India was supposed to be Hindu instead of Muslim. :eek: )

Salam,

MarX

lcfatima

English USA
    how would you say "I am fasting

In Arabic saum is fast, but to say I am fasting is "Ana saim" or "ana saima" for females.

Main roza rakh rahaa/ee hoon is i am fasting (currently---male/female)

As far as I know, Vrat and Upvaas are specifically said by non-Muslims, but by "roza" it is understood the fast is for Islamic requirements for desis. Is that wrong, do Gujju Muslims say upvaas?

MarX

Banned
    Indonesian, Indonesia
    As far as I know, Vrat and Upvaas are specifically said by non-Muslims, but by "roza" it is understood the fast is for Islamic requirements for desis. Is that wrong, do Gujju Muslims say upvaas?
    Assuming that puasa is indeed related to upvaas.
    All Indonesians say puasa, both Muslims and Non-Muslims.
    In fact, it's normal to call Ramadan "Bulan Puasa", literally "Fasting Month".