Aramaic: וילפון לחוד אינון למהוי עם קטולין ארום בחובי קטוליא חרבא נפיק על עלמא

flockhat

English
Hi guys,

The following is taken from תרגום ירושלמי (ניאופיטי) שמות כ':י"ב:

עמי בני ישראל לא תהוון קטולין לא חברין ולא שותפין עם קטוליא ולא יתחמי בכנישתיהון דישראל עם קטולין דלא יקומון בניכון מן בתריכון וילפון לחוד אינון למהוי עם קטולין ארום בחובי קטוליא חרבא נפיק על עלמא.

What does וילפון לחוד אינון למהוי עם קטולין ארום בחובי קטוליא חרבא נפיק על עלמא mean given the context?

Here's the best I could do: ...and they will learn by themselves to be with murderers, because in the sins of the murderers the sword will fall on the world.

I admit that doesn't make much sense. :)

Thanks again

• Abaye

Hebrew
    If your Spanish is good, you can be assisted by the Biblia Polyglotta which for this verse, translated to English, says:
    My people, children of Israel: do not be murderers or companions or associates of murderers and do not see murderous people in the assemblies of Israel, so that your children do not rise up after you and they also learn to be murderous people, because, for the murderers' faults, the sword comes out against the world.
    The link above if for Exodus, other volumes cover the rest of the Targum.
    I guess you can find English translations of the Targum as well, not sure if available online.

Added: see the English translation of Pentateuchal Targumim (for Yonatan and Onkelos):
    My people, the sons of Israel, You. shall not be murderers; you shall not be companions of or partakers with murderers: in the congregations of Israel there shall not be seen a murderous people; neither shall your sons rise up after you and teach one another to take part with murderers: for on account of the guilt of murder the sword cometh forth upon the world.

Last edited:

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    I don't think וילפון לחוד אינון למהוי עם קטולין means "and they also learn to be murderous people". I think it means "and they also learn to be with murderers".