Aramaic: ܝܫܘܥ ܐܘ ܝܫܘܥ ܢܨܪܝܐ ܗܘ ܡܫܝܚܐ ܕܟܪܣܛܝܢܘܬܐ

fbartoli

Italian
Can you help me translating this into English?
ܝܫܘܥ ܐܘ ܝܫܘܥ ܢܨܪܝܐ ܗܘ ܡܫܝܚܐ ܕܟܪܣܛܝܢܘܬܐ

Thank you

Mod note: This thread was originally posted -by mistake- in the Arabic forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • psxws

Spanish-Venezuela, English-United States
    This does not seem to be Arabic... Just as a guess I'd say it's probably in Aramaic

(I think it's something about Jesus?)

Edit:
    working with this: http://arc.wikipedia.org/wiki/ܦܐܬܐ_ܪܫܝܬܐ
    I've been able to find that:
    ܝܫܘܥ is Jesus
    ܢܨܪܝܐ is Nazarene
    ܗܘ is he
    ܡܫܝܚܐ Messiah
    ܟܪܣܛܝܢܘܬܐ Christianity
    ܒܪܗ ??
    is Godܐܠܗܐ
    ܐܣܠܐܡ is Islam
    ܢܒܝܐ prophet
    ܪܒܐ ??

A guess would be something like:

Jesus: Jesus the Nazarene is the Messiah of Christianity. For Christianity Jesus is ?? God, for Islam he is his prophet.

Last edited:

Outlandish

Arabic
    Strangely enough, the first word which is also the third word in that sentence looks like it is the name of Prophet Muhammad-saas-in Arabic:confused: The Arabic of Muhammad looks like this محمد

Au101

England, English (UK)
    I have the last resort font installed which is a unicode font and it means that if I don't have a unicode font for a specific script, it tells me which script is in use. The script in use is Syriac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriac) which, according to wiki, is an Aramaic dialect, so I'd say that's almost certainly Aramaic.

Outlandish

Arabic
    Did you find this sentence in a book or an ancient manuscript? If in a book, what is it about? Why especially this sentence caught your attention?
    Sorry if I'm over curious, but I guess that will help to estimate the mechanical translation of the sentence correctly.

psxws

Did you find this sentence in a book or an ancient manuscript? If in a book, what is it about? Why especially this sentence caught your attention?
    Sorry if I'm over curious, but I guess that will help to estimate the mechanical translation of the sentence correctly.
    While trying to figure out a translation from the Aramaic wiki, I actually ran across the sentence itself in the article about Jesus (it's actually the extent of the article seeing as though the Aramaic wiki is not very vast to say the least)

http://arc.wikipedia.org/wiki/ܝܫܘܥ

psxws

Oh my God! The Aramaic wiki turned out to be using Aramaic as its language!;)
    I was very aware that it was in Aramaic; it was the original poster, fbartoli, who posted it in the Arabic forum ;)

Outlandish

Arabic
    I did some search and think it could be:

ܝܫܘܥ ܐܘ ܝܫܘܥ ܢܨܪܝܐ ܗܘ ܡܫܝܚܐ ܕܟܪܣܛܝܢܘܬܐ
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    1) - Jesus
    2) - is/ or/ is called/ also
    3) - Jesus
    4) - God
    5) - or/ also/ and/ ..
    6) - Meschiakh
    7) - Christianity

It may be:
    Jesus is Jesus the God and the Messiah in/of Christianity

ljh1

English - USA
    The correct translation of this phrase is:
    Jesus, or Jesus the Nazarene, is the Messiah of Christianity.

The translation of the wikipedia article in Aramaic is:
    ܝܫܘܥ ܐܘ ܝܫܘܥ ܢܨܪܝܐ (ܐܪܡܝܐ ܘܥܒܪܝܐ: ܝܫܘܥ܄ ישוע܄ ܥܒܪܝܐ: יהושע) ܗܘ ܡܫܝܚܐ ܕܟܪܣܛܝܢܘܬܐ܂ ܒܟܪܣܛܝܢܘܬܐ ܝܫܘܥ ܗܘ ܒܪܗ ܕܐܠܗܐ܂ ܒܐܣܠܐܡ ܗܘ ܢܒܝܐ ܪܒܐ.
    "Jesus, or Jesus the Nazarene, (Aramaic and Hebrew: Yeshua, Hebrew: Joshua) is the Messiah of Christianity. In Christianity, Jesus is the Son of God. In Islam he is a great prophet."

As you can see, it is a very tiny entry. I'm not even sure what the point is of this incredibly small entry. It definitely doesn't give a person very much info. Someone posted this on a youtube video as a comment, and I can't figure out what the heck the point is.

Anyway, hope that helps.
    - ljh

< Previous | Next >