Arch one's eyelids

mariana79

Turkish
Hi
How could one arch one's eyelids? I saw this in D.H Lawrence's Lost girl where Mr. May, unhappy at hearing there would be no need for his work at the theater, aches his eyelids:

"Of cauce," he said later to Alvina, "I can't possibly stop on if we are nothing but a picture show!" And he arched his blanched and dismal eyelids with ghastly finality.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    It sounds impossible to me.

I assume the author means that he arches his eyebrows. It is common to talk about "arching" one's eyebrows.

The book is almost 100 years old, but it does not seem likely that the meaning of "eyelids" was different then.

mariana79

Turkish
    It sounds impossible to me.

I assume the author means that he arches his eyebrows. It is common to talk about "arching" one's eyebrows.

The book is almost 100 years old, but it does not seem likely that the meaning of "eyelids" was different then.

Andygc

British English
    Stand in front of a mirror. Relax. Look at your eyelids. The upper eyelids normally have a fold of loose skin. Arch your eyebrows by opening your eyes as wide as you can. What happens to the loose skin?

You've just arched your eyebrows and your eyelids.

suzi br

English / England
    Does the bit above the crease have a separate name? I suppose I’d say the lid was the skin over the eyeball and under the crease but now I wonder about the poor nameless part!

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It's a surprise that Lawrence put "eyelids" into the character's mouth, but given the context in which it was said, I wonder if he was describing "rolling one's eyes" in an expression of irony.
    Does the bit above the crease have a separate name?
    Is it the "epicanthan fold"? Andygc will know these things...

mariana79

Turkish
    Stand in front of a mirror. Relax. Look at your eyelids. The upper eyelids normally have a fold of loose skin. Arch your eyebrows by opening your eyes as wide as you can. What happens to the loose skin?

You've just arched your eyebrows and your eyelids.
    Thanks Andy.

< Previous | Next >