Archi-

< Previous | Next >

Rich696

England, English
I have read that archi is used in colloquial French to mean extremely. So, according to the book (Merde, The Real French you were enver taught at School), one would say archi-crevant, archi-stupide, etc.
Is it commonly used, or not?

Merci d'avance.

• scandalously in love

Canada - English
    All I know is that every time my quebecois prof handed us a worksheet, he'd always say to us "Cette feuille est facile. C'est archi-facile. Est-ce que vous pouvez comprendre ce mot?" ... every time.

Ah, memories ;)

zam

England -french (mother tongue) & english
    Rich696 said:
    I have read that archi is used in colloquial French to mean extremely. So, according to the book (Merde, The Real French you were enver taught at School), one would say archi-crevant, archi-stupide, etc.
    Is it commonly used, or not?

Merci d'avance.
    Yes, it's commonly used and it's colloquial for 'very' or 'extremely', just like 'vachement' = archifacile/archinul/archiplein, etc.
    You don't need to hyphenate.

Agnès E.

France, French
    Il me semble que c'est quand même un peu démodé (en France, tout au moins). Maintenant, on parle de super-, de top- ou de méga-, non ?
    Nous avons eu quelques discussions à ce sujet, si je me souviens bien. :)

Rich696

England, English
    Thanks! Agnès, you do remember correctly. I was searching though the dictionary (with suggestions from the forums at the bottom of the recommended words) rather than the actual forum search function...:eek:
    It seems there's some disagreement as to how outmoded archi is! I suppose these things slip in and out of fashion more quickly than most care to notice...:)

< Previous | Next >