Architetto progettista

• Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    I am sorry to disagree with Flailno, (hope you don't mind F) but the right word for "architetto progettista" is Project Architect .
    Project Manager is a different task of a Project Design team. The architect who decides about the concept design (progetto) of an architectural object is the Project Architect, whilst Project Manager's tasks follows the Project Architect guidelines. :)

Last edited:

FlailnotStruggle

Italian
    Hi Lorena,
    thanks for your correct and precise term, however delving into the line I tout ARCHITECT-PROJECT-MANAGER as suitable degree because it both combines a project-architect's duties with an architectural-project-manager's functions, the latter who superintends the whole project and the consultants' work. Accounting conveyance is left to the sole project-manager.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_manager
    http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSee...JO-5&ns_siteid=ns_it_g_architect_project_man_
    BYE

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    As always a good context (and proper information on what someone is looking for) helps, and good context are rarely provided, sic...!
    Architetto progettista may be a vague term but, according to my experience (let's say that this is my field...) what Italians mean with "Architetto Progettista" corresponds to Project Architect in UK. Then, a Project Architect can also be a Project Manager, a Group Leader, a Structural Consultant, a Team Leader or whatever else, whilst a Project Manager is not necessarily a Project Architect.
    I don't mean to discuss your opinions,honestly, but in this case I can humbly say that I am sure. The question was "Archietto Progettista" and this translates as "Project Architect" (I can add: part 2 or part 3?):)

Last edited:

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Lorena is right - and this is ( indirectly ) my field as well.

The Project Architect works for the Owner and his job is to turn the concept ( say 450 apartment units in a 45 story building, plus spa, gym, restaurant and a 1000-car garage, on a lot 300 ft wide by 200 ft deep ) into an executable project : detailed blueprints for each discipline, spec book and whatever else is needed to guide the GC ( General Contractor ) first in his bidding, and then in the execution of the project.

The Project Manager (PM) is the person in charge of the project for the GC.

In real life, the two functions are not just distinct and separate, they can have conflicting interests : the Architect is only interested in the implementation of his project and the way he interprets it , whereas the PM has to deal with the realities of a contract and the construction costs.

The difference boils down to the fact that the Architect works for the Owner for a fee, and the PM works for the GC who has to build the project at a fixed contract price, trying to get as much profit from operations.

One of the possible differences between the Italian system and the US system is that here the architect always takes care of the structural part of the project as well as the space planning and finishings.

In Italy, from what I understand, 'architects' are often what here we would call 'interior designers', in realta' arredatori e decoratori che pero' ho sentito anche chiamare 'progettisti', con quella solita pomposita'... lasciamo perdere, che e' meglio.

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Hi Odysseus, and thank you for making things clearer.
    I just think that the Forum is a good tool as soon as information are useful and properly provided. I don't mean to say that personal opinion should be banned, NON AT ALL!, but I think that whenever one makes an attempt, which is good of course :), he/her should be honest and express that it's a try instead of arguing on subjects for the sake of it...:(

About what you say (and I post here because is pertinent to the thread), actually I can say that in Italy registered Architects (architetti iscritti nei rispettivi ordini professionali) are supposed to deal with structures and technical equipments as well as with the architectural design. For what concerns Public competitions (concorsi per la progettazione di edifici con incarichi pubblici) now entry forms requires a percentage of technical/structural works done during the last 5 or 10 years (it depends on competitions) and that's why almost only what are called "Società di Ingegneria" (which may include architects but may also be formed by engineers and geometri without architects) own all the requirements required by competition notices. Small architecture practices often doesn't suit competition's parameters, and that's why they need to team up with other practices with complementary skills (raggruppamento temporaneo) in order to take part to competitions. Differently, for what concerns UK (there are good reasons because I say that...;) ), Architects there are not asked to deal with technical equipments/structures, PM (Project Management) and they generally ask consultants to do that. Very often these services are delivered by companies that are external to the firm that "signs" the project. At least a certain category of architects works like that, may they be small offices or renowned offices. Of course various big firms (in term of number of employees and not in terms of fame, although the two things are somewhat linked) use to deliver all design stages (concepts/technical drawings, M&E, Project Management etc.).
    All that for what in my knowledge up to now, but as you say now that architects are "in fashion" there are many different ways to face the practice.
    And you are right when you say that in Italy a large number of Interior Designers (i.e. not Architect part 2 or 3, UK system) love to name themselves, and be named, "architects"...sic!:mad:
    Ciao:)

Last edited: