Are abilities "improved"?

andersxman

Denmark/danish
Most factories are currently enhancing/improving their abilities in sausage making as a consequence of the new rules governing the sector.

What do you do with abilities? Improve? Enhance? If your grasp what I'm trying to say with this sentence, maybe you're able to express it in a more fluent way?

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Do factories have "abilities"?

And on a lighter note, "most" factories don't make sausages —>
    Most sausage factories* are currently modifying their facilities as a consequence of the new rules governing the sector.

* "sausage factories" could probably be changed to "meat processing plants" which would then allow the 'sausage' to be moved to later in the sentence.
    Most meat processing plants are currently modifying their sausage-making facilities as a consequence of the new rules governing the sector.

river

U.S. English
    I read "sausage factories" as well as "sausage plants" (even though sausages don't grow on trees).

andersxman

Denmark/danish
    OK, I agree, my example wasn't all that successful. I would, however, like to understand what you might do with abilities, as for example in the below phrase. But maybe "abilities" isn't a good choice in this case either?

"As a consequence of the new university law, most universities are currently improving their abilities in scientific reporting. "

QUOTE (Sausage plants - even though sausages don't grow on trees) - Nice one, by the way, River. GRIN

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I don't think one can do anything with one's own "abilities" - I think you need a synonym here.
    They might 'augment' or 'modernise' their capabilities.
    They might 'review' or 'update' their procedures.
    They might 'streamline' or 'improve' their practices.

< Previous | Next >