... are enthusiastic about enrol/enrolling in the programs

emma.learns

Chinese - China
Hi friends,

Students and parents are enthusiastic about enrolling in CLIL programs.

It just I feel wrong about using "enrol" and I feel odd about using "enrolling (double L here?)" in the above sentence.

Which one is better? or

What's a better way to say it?

Thank you so much! You really have helped a lot :)

• Rhye

English - American
    The word "enroll" (it's spelled with two Ls) is most commonly used in cases like these when you're referring to some sort of school program. As the word "enroll" is was basically built for this usage, I'd suggest saying it that way; I don't think any other words or phrasing would make the sentence any more clear.

emma.learns

Chinese - China
    The word "enroll" (it's spelled with two Ls) is most commonly used in cases like these when you're referring to some sort of school program. As the word "enroll" is was basically built for this usage, I'd suggest saying it that way; I don't think any other words or phrasing would make the sentence any more clear.
    Thank you :) Just to confirm, I should use "enroll" instead of "enrolling"?

Rhye

English - American
    For your sentence you would use "enrolling" because of the way the sentence is built: "students are enthusiastic about enrolling". Alternatively, you could say "students are eager to enroll", and it would have roughly the same meaning.

Loob

English UK
    "Enrol" is spelled with one "l" in BrE;). *

I agree with Rhye about the grammar, though:).

*"Enrolling" has two.

Rhye

English - American
    Oh sorry, enroll is one of those words that I'd never seen a British English user spell, so I never knew it was any different. :)

Loob

English UK
    The double-L spelling is actually much more logical, since the basic meaning of "enrol" is "record in a roll". But there you go....:cool:

< Previous | Next >