are increasing rapidly in number

< Previous | Next >

Michelle Green

Chinese
Hi all,
Is the following sentence right?
Extramarital affairs are increasing rapidly in number.
The intended meaning is that there are more and more extramarital affairs happening.
Thank you!

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Michelle. Your sentence makes sense, but your word choice surprises me a little. Is this something you would say in a conversation? Is it something that you might want to write? If you will provide some context for that sentence, it will help other members give you better answers to your question.

Michelle Green

Chinese
    Hi, Michelle. Your sentence makes sense, but your word choice surprises me a little. Is this something you would say in a conversation? Is it something that you might want to write? If you will provide some context for that sentence, it will help other members give you better answers to your question.
    Thank you. Here's the whole thing:
    In today’s society, extramarital affairs are increasing rapidly in number and have led to the break-up of countless families, leaving people in pain. So how can we rely on God to overcome temptations?

owlman5

English-US
    You are welcome. Thanks for the context.

Your phrase looks okay to me in that sentence. I don't think you need to use "in number" in that phrase. It should be enough to say that they are increasing rapidly.

< Previous | Next >