are more similar to those of .. , compared to .... [How to make this comparison?]

Boricua2

English, Spanish
Hi, I am a medical student editing a scientific paper about the heart. I need help with the grammar here—don't worry about the science.

Here is one of the author's sentences:
In the present study, we show that the energy metabolism patterns of H9c2 cells, such as ..., are more similar to those of primary cardiomyocytes compared to HL-1 cells.
There are three cell lines: H9c2 cells, HL-1 cells, and primary cardiomyocytes. The author is comparing H9c2 cells and HL-1 cells to primary cardiomyocytes. I don't want the reader to be confused and think the sentence is comparing H9c2 cells to HL-1 cells and primary cardiomyocytes. I put "..." because the details are not important.

How would you rewrite the sentence?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Welcome, Boricua2.

Normally, the meaning would be clearer if you used this construction "more similar to X than to Y": "are more similar to those of X than they are to [those of] Y."

Another alternative: "In terms of energy patterns, Z are more similar to X than to Y."

anthox

English - Northeast US
    I think you want:

In the present study we show that the energy metabolism patterns of H9c2 cells, such as ..., as more similar to those of primary cardiomyocytes than to those of HL-1 cells.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Hi, I am a medical student editing a scientific paper about the heart. I need help with the grammar here—don't worry about the science.

Here is one of the author's sentences:
    In the present study, we show that the energy metabolism patterns of H9c2 cells, such as ..., are more similar to those of primary cardiomyocytes compared to HL-1 cells.
    There are three cell lines: H9c2 cells, HL-1 cells, and primary cardiomyocytes. The author is comparing H9c2 cells and HL-1 cells to primary cardiomyocytes. I don't want the reader to be confused and think the sentence is comparing H9c2 cells to HL-1 cells and primary cardiomyocytes. I put "..." because the details are not important.

How would you rewrite the sentence?
    Hi, Boricua2, Frankly, even after reading the 3 explanatory sentences after the one in bold, I'm not sure I've clearly understood what you mean. Might this be what you mean: "In the present study, we show that, compared to the energy metabolism patterns of HL-1 cells, those of H9c2 cells, such as [...], are more similar to the energy metabolism patterns of primary cardiomyocytes." ? Hope this helps.

Boricua2

English, Spanish
    Thanks for the quick help everyone!

bibliolept, I like your second alternative because it puts the focus on primary cardiomyocytes ("Z" in your example). I think it is easier to understand. Here is what I came up with:

In the present study, we show that primary cardiomyocytes are more similar to H9c2 cells than to HL-1 cells with regard to energy metabolism patterns, such as cellular ATP levels...

< Previous | Next >