Are Political Scandals Being Buried By Celebrity Gossip?

< Previous | Next >

shorty1

Korean
Hello.

taken from: Are Political Scandals Being Buried By Celebrity Gossip? - koreaBANG

by jay.h on Tuesday, July 7, 2015 11 Comments comments

Are Political Scandals Being Buried By Celebrity Gossip?
When there is a piece of high-profile celebrity news, some netizens claim that it is an attempt by the government to cover up some political trouble. On the other hand, some other netizens have dismissed such claims as baseless and paranoid, as shown in the comment section of the following article from popular conservative politics blog ‘Liberalism’.

'An affair like a political scandal is buried by something like celebrity gossip' sounds natural?
In korean that means Celebrity gossip takes people's attention away from an affair like a political scandal.
In Korean 'to be buried by celebrity gossip' is a very natural expression.
But I'm not sure the expression 'be buried by' comes from English.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    'An affair like a political scandal is buried by something like celebrity gossip' sounds natural?
    Yes.
    That means Celebrity gossip takes people's attention away from an affair like a political scandal.
    Yes.
    But I'm not sure the expression 'be buried by' comes from English.
    Are you asking if Korean adopted the phrase from English? I don't know - someone on the Korean forum might help. The figurative use of "to bury" is recorded 900 years ago in English.

shorty1

Korean
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Are you asking if Korean adopted the phrase from English? I don't know - someone on the Korean forum might help. The figurative use of "to bury" is recorded 900 years ago in English.

Thank you very much, Paul. :)

I tought it could been possible that the speaker made a korean sentence and translated it into English in a one-to-one word correspondence ending up creating a broken English.

So I wanted to know if Korean adopted the phrase from English. It must be true.

That's clear now.

< Previous | Next >