are socially regulated

< Previous | Next >

azz

armenian
Can one say
a. Not all these activities are socially regulated, with members of the society acting as observers and arbitrators.
b. Not all these activities are considered socially regulated, with members of the society acting as observers and arbitrators.

?

The sentences are mine.

I think
c. All these activities are socially regulated, with members of the society acting as observers and arbitrators.

works, but (a) and (b) do not.

Many thanks.

• rhitagawr

British English
    I think with (a) and (b) it's not clear what people are observing. The sentences begin by saying that some activities aren't socially regulated. So the reader's thinking about activities which are socially regulated and activities which aren't. Then we're told that members of society (not the society) act as observers. They're observing a group of activities - the socially regulated ones - which hasn't been specifically mentioned yet. And logically the second part of the sentence could refer to all the activities, which would be a contradiction. So the reader needs to work out for himself which activities are observed and how a socially regulated activity is defined - it's one which is observed by members of society. He shouldn't need to work things out for himself: the writer should be telling him explicitly.

< Previous | Next >