...are stopped to run or running the red light ?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bigsky888, Nov 21, 2014.

1. bigsky888

bigsky888 Senior Member

chinese
    Hello, there. Some of my students ask me which sentence is correct,and the two sentences are as follows:1. People are stopped to run the red light by the volunteers.2. People are stopped running the red light by the volunteers.From my perspective, the first sentence tells us people are stopped before the action of running the red light, while the second sentence means the action is already going on , and then the volunteers try to stop them. I'm not sure about my understanding. Please help me.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Would you please provide sufficient context so we know what you are talking about?

What are the red lights? What do they signify?

What do you mean by "running a red light" (that term doesn't normally apply to people on foot)

What is the sport or activity involved?

3. bigsky888

bigsky888 Senior Member

chinese
    Here "run the red light" means "run the red traffic light".

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Please respond to the rest of the questions.

Thank you.

5. bigsky888

bigsky888 Senior Member

chinese
    OK, I mean "The car is stopped to run the red traffic light." And there is no sport involved. It is just an activity against the law. What I want to make it clear is that what's the difference between these two sentences: 1. The car is stopped to run the red light by the volunteers.2. The car is stopped running the red light by the volunteers. Many thanks!

6. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    This means that volunteers stop the car in order to force it to ignore the red light and cross the intersection.

This means that the volunteers (whoever they are) stop the car when it is in the process of ignoring the stop light.

Both sentences seem to be illogical. Because the time interval of "running a red light" is so short, it is normal to stop the vehicle after the infraction occurs.

7. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    We seem to be drifting from the topic.

Your second sentence is grammatically correct, bigsky. :)

These threads may be help understand the constructions used with stop.

However, we are curious about the situation you are describing.
    As you can see, we aren't used to having volunteers control speeding drivers.
    Please tell us a little more about the situation you have in mind.

8. bigsky888

bigsky888 Senior Member

chinese
    First, thank you for your help. You're absolutely right, Cagey. The original sentence on the exercise book is " People are _______ to run the red light by the volunteers." Now, we're learning the passive voice, so here completing the sentence is just to practise the structure "be+done". With all your guys' help, I realize how illogical the sentence is ! To begin with, "running a red light" doesn't normally apply to people on foot. Also,"People are stopped to run the red light by the volunteers." really means that volunteers stop people in order to force them to ignore the red light and cross the intersection.Lastly ,the sentences seem to be illogical. Because the time interval of "running a red light" is so short, it is normal to stop the vehicle after the infraction occurs and we aren't used to having volunteers control speeding drivers. I have to say some exercise on our exercise book is just for the exercise's sake without thinking about whether it is logical or not. Thank you all again, my friends!