(...) are the ones I am interested the most in.

lux_

Hallo, I wanted to ask if to a natural speaker this sentence sounds terribly contrived as it sound to me and I wanted some suggestions for possible alternatives:

The vacancies in Finance and Accounting are the ones I am interested the most in.

I actually I've already sent the reply writing "The vacancies in Finance and Accounting are the ones that interests me the most", but I would like to hear some possible way to phrase the first sentence that would sound more natural.

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    I think it would sound a little smoother if you'd turn it around: I am most interested in the vacancies in Finance and Accounting.

ewie

English English
    Hallo Lux. It's absolutely fine except that you've got the most in an awkward place:
    The vacancies in Finance and Accounting are the ones I am the most interested the most in.
    The one you sent was okay too except that your verb didn't agree with your subject:
    "The vacancies in Finance and Accounting are the ones that interest me the most"

boozer

Bulgarian
    Or, if you must use "the ones" then you can go:
    The vacancies in Finance and Accounting are the ones in which I am most interested.

You want to still be emphatic, then this should also work:
    It's the vacancies in Finance and Accounting that interest me the most

and so on...

e2efour

UK English
    "The vacancies in Finance and Accounting are the ones I am interested the most in" reads a little clumsy to me with "in" at the end of the sentence.
    The more natural expression is: "I am interested in most."

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It's harder to tell when it's in a relative clause like this. It becomes easier to unpick the issue in a simpler sentence:

(a) I am interested the most in the Accounts vacancy.
    (b) I am interested in the Accounts vacancy the most.

(b) is better than (a), so when you bring the vacancy up to the front for the relative clause, what you get is e2efour's suggestion: the vacancy I am interested in __ the most. The reason (b) is better is that the 'in'-phrase is a complement of 'interested': it's an essential part of the grammatical construction. But 'the most' is an adjunct, an inessential phrase that adds further information. Generally, complements come before adjuncts. This is not to say that (a) is wrong, but it is less natural.

e2efour

UK English
    I wouldn't use "the most", which I find rather formal and old-fashioned. I prefer "most".
    For example: What I'm interested in most is xxxxxxxxx" OR "xxxxxxxxx is what I'm interested in most". Most can be placed after "interested in" or before "interested".

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I don't find either of those very natural, ETB:(
    Nor do I, and there are of course better ways of saying it; but this explains why the proffered versions is not right. I could say something like (b) under the right circumstances.

lux_

I wouldn't use "the most", which I find rather formal and old-fashioned. I prefer "most".
    For example: What I'm interested in most is xxxxxxxxx" OR "xxxxxxxxx is what I'm interested in most". Most can be placed after "interested in" or before "interested".
    What about "mostly" in place of your "most"? Could it work as well?

Thanks everyone!

Hermione Golightly

British English
    "Mostly" is to me mostly an adverb of time/frequency, meaning "most of the time".

"Mostly/ most often/most of the time/usually/ I go to bed about midnight." (Not always.)

Otherwise I use "the most".
    "Anglo -Saxon archaeology interests me the most" - I mean it always interests me more than Roman or Bronze Age or any other period.

Hermione

< Previous | Next >