are there lessons other advanced economies

tesoke

USA
Persian
Hi, I red the following sentence form http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/04/us-dollar-growth-yen-euro. I think that the writer has mad a mistake and emitted "which" in this sentence. Am I right?

Original sentence: What did US policymakers do right? And, are there lessons other advanced economies may want to heed? One thing, say experts, was moving fast on various kinds of stimulus measures, without even knowing if they could work.

Proposed sentence: What did US policymakers do right? And, are there lessons which other advanced economies may want to heed? One thing, say experts, was moving fast on various kinds of stimulus measures, without even knowing if they could work.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    This is not a mistake. It is permitted to omit the word "which" here because we can still understand the sentence without it. This is known in linguistics as ellipsis.

tesoke

USA
    Persian
    Thank you. Can we omit the words "Which,Who,That" every time and in every situation or not?

jmichaelm

English - US
    Hi again, I sorry but I came back to this thread and I have a question: Is there any rule to understand when can we omit them or not? Thank you.
    I don't think there is a particular rule to apply, except as Glasguensis noted you must be able to understand the sentence. You can include "which" in your own writing if you are unsure whether it could be omitted without confusion.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It can't be omitted if it is the subject of the relative clause. It can be omitted if it is the object of a verb or preposition. In 'lessons other advanced economies may want to heed', the economies may want to heed the lessons: the relative clause is being made on the object of the verb 'heed', so it is not necessary to use 'which'.

< Previous | Next >