Are these appropriate directions? [Writing Exercise]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Tenacious Learner, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Tenacious Learner

Tenacious Learner Senior Member

Spanish
    Hello Teachers,
    Are these appropriate directions?
    Circle the letter of the best meaning for the underlined word as it is used in context.
    1. Outside the weather is gloomy.
    A. Outside the weather is not bright or sunny.
    B. Outside the weather is bright and sunny.
    C. Outside the weather is fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

2. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).
    I would say, "Circle the letter of the item which give the best definition...." or ".... which gives the meaning closest to the word underlined in the example sentence."

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I would have no idea what that meant -- first, you have mixed a number in with letters; second, I wouldn't know if you wanted me to look outside at that moment and tell you what I see or not; third, if you were grading these papers a week later, you might not know the weather (although I suppose you could scribble the answer to yourself at the time); fourth, my idea of fantastic weather might be be one of the first three, so you have a pre-imagined definition of fantastic that your students may not share; fifth, I would use a comma after "Outside."

4. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello Copyright,
    It seems that everything is so horrible. What a gloomy day for me!

TL

5. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    Tenacious-- be that. Your sentence it readily fixed. Sometimes Copy gets a bit too thorough.

6. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello bennymix,
    Thanks for your help. I think the one with '... which gives the meaning closest to the word underlined in the example sentence.', will work a lot better for the students.
    One more question please, is it the same, 'to the word underlined in the example', as 'to the underlined word in the example'?

TL

7. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    It's not so horrible, TL. Take heart; Copyright and I just are not used to this sort of exercise. All you need is a few revisions to the rubric.

How about Circle the letter of the sentence which best reflects the meaning expressed in sentence 1.

You may need less than that, if the students are used to this sort of exercise.

Chin up. It's an excellent exercise for them.

8. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    Yes, the same.

9. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Thanks for your explanation about the number for the question and the letters for the answer -- as TT says, some of us are not used to this format. In the future, you might want to format your question so that it's easy for anyone to understand, rather than just transcribing it as you see it.
    I like TT's suggestion: Circle the letter of the sentence which best reflects the meaning expressed in sentence 1.

10. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

English (American).
    If you wish to be picky, Copy, I would not call each example sentence a question. :)

11. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello bennymix & Thomas Tompion.
    Thanks a lot for you words, comments, and help. :) :thumbsup: They really mean a lot to me. I was shocked at that answer.

TL

12. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello Copyright,
    You're welcome. Point taken!

TL

13. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I don't think I did.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  14. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello TT,
    On second thought, since the exercise has between 1-10 sentences to explain vocabulary, could those directions be like this, '... reflects the meaning expressed in the original sentence'?

TL

15. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello bennymix,
    I think I'll use a combination of yours and TT, 'Circle the letter of the sentence which gives the meaning closest to the underlined word(s) in the example sentence.
    Even this one sounds very good to me:
    Circle the letter of the sentence which best reflects the meaning expressed in the example sentence.

TL

16. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Here's a thought:

Long:
    There are 10 numbered sentences (1–10).
    Each is followed by three lettered sentences (A, B, C).
    Circle the letter of the sentence that best reflects the meaning of the numbered sentence.

Short:
    Circle the A, B or C sentence that best reflects the meaning of the sentence above it.

17. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hello Copyright,
    Thanks for your thought and directions too!:thumbsup:

TL