Are these prepositions correct?

Jawel7

Turkish
Hello everyone.

I don't know if prepositions used in the following sentences can be correct or not, could you please help me with them?
First of all, I would like you to give me a technical answer please. Technically they are possible, or not.

1-) Austria is one of the closest countries to Hungary.

2-) In our group, there are some bad people at swimming.

3-) She is the only married one to a doctor.

In my opinion, they are OK. Because
"Close" works with "to",
"Bad" works with "at",
"Married" works with "to".
I think they are fine.
How about you?

Thank you very much in advance.
I really love this forum. It is the best forum to brainstorm about English :)

• lingobingo

English - England
    The first one works but in the other two the word order is wrong. It should be:

In our group, there are some people [who are] bad at swimming.
    She is the only one [who is] married to a doctor.​

Jawel7

Turkish
    The first one works but in the other two the word order is wrong. It should be:

In our group, there are some people [who are] bad at swimming.
    She is the only one [who is] married to a doctor.​
    I knew that you would say like this. My question is about "prepositions on the right of nouns" and "adjectives on the left of nouns".
    Normally, it doesn't make sense to say: "a country to a country", but if there is "close", it starts to make sense. "a close country to a country".
    With the same idea, I thought that these kinds of sentences should be correct.
    There are some familiar events to me here. (instead of "events which are familiar to me")
    There are acceptable ideas for me. (instead of "ideas which are acceptable for me")
    .. @lingobingo

lingobingo

English - England
    You’re trying to manipulate perfectly good syntax in ways that don’t work well, if at all.

There are some familiar events to me here. :thumbsdown: / There are acceptable ideas for me. :thumbsdown:

Jawel7

Turkish
    You’re trying to manipulate perfectly good syntax in ways that don’t work well, if at all.

There are some familiar events to me here. :thumbsdown: / There are acceptable ideas for me. :thumbsdown:
    Well, at least could you please tell me whether they are theoretically(grammatically-with English rules) wrong or they can be correct technically but we don't use, prefer? @lingobingo

lingobingo

English - England
    The first one reads really oddly. You can say “Some of these events are familiar to me”, but “familiar events to me” doesn’t work.

The second one could conceivably be used if the context alowed, but again the placement of the prepositional phrase (“for me”) makes it unidiomatic.

< Previous | Next >