are welcome/welcomed

Diddy

Spanish
Hi forum!!!

Is it correct or not to say:

All other recommendations will be welcomed?
All other comments are welcomed ?

or the word "welcome" is an irregular verb?

Thanks in advance,

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    All other XX will be welcomed or all other XX are welcome.

I wouldn't say "are welcomed", personally, if this is an invitation for additional comments/recommendations to be presented.

Diddy

Spanish
    All other XX will be welcomed or all other XX are welcome.

I wouldn't say "are welcomed", personally, if this is an invitation for additional comments/recommendations to be presented.
    Thanks cropje... I now understand not to use are welcomed when referring to an invitation for additional comments..., but is there any other situation when the expression are welcomed is used? If so, can you give me an example, please?

Thanks again!

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I would use the adjective "welcome" here, rather than the past participle "welcomed".

Here are both being used -- the first as a past participle referring to the act of welcoming, and the second as an adjective.

The important visitors were welcomed at the city limits by the mayor.
    Visitors from abroad are always welcome in our town.

Diddy

Spanish
    I would use the adjective "welcome" here, rather than the past participle "welcomed".

Here are both being used -- the first as a past participle referring to the act of welcoming, and the second as an adjective.

The important visitors were welcomed at the city limits by the mayor.
    Visitors from abroad are always welcome in our town.
    I got it!!!! ... I did not realize, until now with your detailed explanation, that one is used as an adjective, meanwhile the other is a verb...Thanks a lot!!!

< Previous | Next >