Are you fine? -Used as a greeting?

Amber_1010

Chinese-Cantonese
Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if native speakers ever say "Are you fine?" instead of "How are you?" to greet or start a conversation with someone.
I think it is not used that way, but maybe it could be used if someone is in pain and I use that instead of "Are you okay?" to find out whether that person needs an ambulance.

Would you ever say that?

Thank you!

• Amber_1010

Chinese-Cantonese
    Do mean as a greeting or used instead of "Are you okay?"??

But assuming if you agree that we don't use it to greet people, then why not? I don't know why.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I wouldn't use it as a greeting, and it's hard to imagine a situation where I would use it instead of "Are you okay?"

Why don't we use it to greet people? No better reason than that we just don't, I suppose.

thegreathoo

Srpski
    Do mean as a greeting or used instead of "Are you okay?"??

But assuming if you agree that we don't use it to greet people, then why not? I don't know why.
    You only ask if someone is okay or fine, sad, or ill, if you noticed that something is out of ordinary, preferably only if the person gives you obvious reason to believe something is wrong, for example a person is holding her head, or appears sad.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You only ask if someone is okay or fine, sad, or ill, if you noticed that something is out of ordinary, preferably only if the person gives you obvious reason to believe something is wrong, for example a person is holding her head, or appears sad.
    In that situation, I might ask "Are you okay?" or "Are you ill?" or "Are you hurt?" I would not ask "Are you fine?"

thegreathoo

Srpski
    I agree, fine is reserved for fine china, fine wine, fine women. However, Are you doing fine? is okay imo, unusual nonetheless.

It is odd, Amber, but no one says, "Are you fine?" as a greeting. And as you say, if there is apparent distress, the opening would be "Are you OK?" or "Are you hurt?" i.e., the bar is set much lower than 'fine.'

Related to this, people do say, sometimes, directly upon meeting, "You're looking good!" (not a question).

Amber_1010

Chinese-Cantonese
    It is odd, Amber, but no one says, "Are you fine?" as a greeting. And as you say, if there is apparent distress, the opening would be "Are you OK?" or "Are you hurt?" i.e., the bar is set much lower than 'fine.'

Related to this, people do say, sometimes, directly upon meeting, "You're looking good!" (not a question).
    I have noticed this in English. People literately ask how a person is doing/feeling using "How are you?" (or "How are you doing?" NOT ""Are are you doing fine?".)
    I'm guessing maybe it's because speakers do not assume other people are always doing well or saying those(with fine) will probably sound rude.
    (What do you think of this 'logic'?)
    In my language, people do use 'fine' with those kind of questions. So, I'm kind of amazed by the differences between my native language and English.

< Previous | Next >