Are you for real.

< Previous | Next >

AlexanderIII

Russian
Dear all,
this is from the novel I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Maureen Goo. The narrator and Luca are running from the guards. Luca proposes to hide on board a yaсht.

I glanced at the name painted along the side [of the yaсht]. Carpe Diem. Are you for real.

Probably it's a typo, but the sentence in red is not a question. If it's not a typo, could you please explain what is it's meaning?

• owlman5

English-US
    This looks like a private mental comment that the narrator makes to himself as he looks at the name of the yacht. "Are you for real?" tells me that the narrator thinks the name "Carpe diem" is something that seems ridiculous.

"Are you for real?" is a question that people sometimes ask other people when they think the other people are being absurd or ridiculous in some way.

AlexanderIII

Russian
    This looks like a private mental comment that the narrator makes to himself as he looks at the name of the yacht. "Are you for real?" tells me that the narrator thinks the name "Carpe diem" is something that seems ridiculous.

"Are you for real?" is a question that people sometimes ask other people when they think the other people are being absurd or ridiculous in some way.
    But does the sentence with full stop at the end instead of interrogation mark make sense?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    As a rhetorical question, if the speaker/thinker clearly thinks "You aren't for real", the writer could punctuate it as a statement, which it effectively is.

< Previous | Next >