Are you free/Will you be free tomorrow night?

Deborah White

Korean Korea
For example:
A says: I have a ticket for a movie on the evening of 10th Dec.
"Are you free that night?", or "Will you be free that night?", or both is fine? If so, which is more often said?

• stephenlearner

Chinese
    Is "Are you free..." ambiguous?

Are you free tomorrow? Are you free on Friday night?
    Sometimes when I use these sentences in the conversation with native speakers, they are puzzled, and I have to clarify it.
    Is "Do you have free time..." better and more clear?

The Prof

I don't know why native speakers would be puzzled - used in the given context, both versions of your question seems quite clear and unambiguous to me. :)
    I agree with Guixols about the 'are you free ...' version being the more commonly used of the two.

joinpeter

Korean
    Are you free that night ? As I know of the underlined word doesn't mean having time available being with me.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Are you free that night? As I know of understand the underlined word, it doesn't mean having time available being to be with me.
    But that's how it's understood in idiomatic English (not necessarily to be with you, although that's usually true, but to do something specific). If A asks B, "Are you free tomorrow afternoon?" B assumes that A has something in mind that A hopes B can do at that time. There would be no other reason for A to ask the question!

lapdwicks

Sinhala
    Are you free tomorrow? = (Don't you have any arrangements already made for tomorrow?)

Will you be free tomorrow? = (Can you predict about tomorrow, whether you not being busy?)

lapdwicks

Sinhala
    I might be cautious about saying Are you free tomorrow night? to someone who goes to gaol regularly. Then it might be misinterpreted.

If you prefer the ambiguity, you could also consider the situation of the same question being asked from a slave who has been kept in a showroom for sale.

joinpeter

Korean
    I have a ticket for a movie on ~.And ask "Are you free ~".
    The intention of speaking of "Are you free~" < a word> in Korean should be translated to "Are you available ~".
    You can exactly understand it,but you can't exactly understand the intention for it in Korean.
    I mean "Are you free~" is not the intention of the speaker.
    How do I know ? 'Cause I'm Korean.
    One thing that I'd like to tell you is If you were here in Korea ,you could get the feeling why "Are you available~" is correct.
    Thank you for correcting me !

For example:
    < a Korean word>! is I'm going to visit you someday in the future.
    But,we in Korea say it without a permission and when .Then I'm going to visit you ~ is not correct.
    That is behind a cultural difference.

Language is not always explained in words !! -Joinpeter

<< Please use only English in English Only.
    Thank you.
    :)
    Cagey, moderator. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

se16teddy

English - England
    Meanings of free.

1. Not busy.
    2. Not charging.
    3. Not jailed.

Are there any other uses of it?
    According to the WordReference dictionary, there are 30 different senses. http://www.wordreference.com/definition/free

But the word "available", which I think joinpeter is recommending, is more dangerously ambiguous, because it can mean "willing to have sex".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >