Are you going to go/ Are you going?

GeogeHalin

Japanese
Hello members.
I'm not sure wether to say "Are you going to go?" or "Are you going?" in this situation.

If my Tom friend was absent last week so he didn't take the test. There's a test section today during lunch time for the absentees to take the test. I know Tom knows about this but I don't know whether is going to the section so I ask him:
Me: There's a test section today, you know that right?
Tom: Yeah.
Me: Are you going to go?

Is using "Are you going to go?" idiomatic here? Because somehow I think "Are you going?" would be better.
Which one would you use?

Please tell me what you think!
Thanks so much!

• wandle

English - British
    Both expressions are correct and idiomatic.
    They have slightly different implications and most typically would probably be used in different contexts.

It is not clear to me from post 1 what the point of the question is.
    Does Tom have a choice about taking the test?

wandle

English - British
    In that case, 'Are you going?' assumes he has already decided. It is asking him to inform you of his decision.
    'Are you going to go?' rather implies that, when you last spoke, he had not made up his mind one way or the other.
    However, these are subtle distinctions which we do not always observe in the rapid pace of conversation.

GeogeHalin

Japanese
    I understand now:)

Just curious, what if he doesn't have a choice and has to go, would that affect the usage?

I'd like to know what AE speakers think as well. Do you agree?

wandle

English - British
    Just curious, what if he doesn't have a choice and has to go, would that affect the usage?
    In that case, it is less easy to envisage the distinction suggested above; in fact, it is not easy to imagine the sentence being spoken in the absence of some supporting context (preceding conversation).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >