Are you leaving the door open?

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
Merhaba,

Imagine you and your spouse are entering your home. You choose not to close the door behind you. Your spouse is shocked. How would he/she say, "Are you leaving the door open???"

My guess is:

Kapıyı açık bırakıyor musunuz???

Teşekkür ederim!

• _Ozgur_

Turkish
    Your sentence translates as: Kapıyı açık mı bırakıyorsun??? This is the informal way of saying it (in case of closeness and friendship).
    To be formal and more polite (in case of less closeness and friendship), you can say: Kapıyı açık mı bırakıyorsunuz???

Last edited:

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Thanks. I guess a person will normally address his/her spouse with the "sen" rather than "siz" forms in Turkey. :)

Why did you move the interrogative particle though? Is there a difference in meaning between

Kapıyı açık bırakıyorsun???

and

Kapıyı açık bırakıyor musun???

?

_Ozgur_

Turkish
    Yes you are right. A person will normally address his/her spouse with the "sen" rather than "siz".

Concerning the interrogative, it is hard to explain in English. All I can say is, it is a matter of emphasis. When you say "kapıyı açık mı bırakıyorsun?" the emphasis is on the state of the door being open and you criticize the person for the state of the door being open.

When you say "kapıyı açık bırakıyor musun?" the emphasis is on the verb "leave".

To even complicate things, consider the following sentence:

Kapıyı mı açık bırakıyorsun? The emphasis is on the door (not the state of the door). It is like saying:
    Are you leaving the door or some other thing open?

Anyway, let's wait for the other forum member's comments. Maybe I am wrong, who knows?

drowsykush

Turkish
    I agree with your point about the use of the interrogative particle. It all depends on what you are emphasizing in the sentence.

In addition to your translation, I would like to point out that people may say "kapıyı açık mı bırakacaksın", which is quite common in colloquial speech, rather than "bırakıyorsun" in Turkish.

I'm not saying it's wrong to say "bırakıyorsun", but I say it's much more preferable in this case.