Are you likely to be visiting Greece again this summer?

Bob8964

Chinese
Hi,

The sentence above is from my book. I wonder whether "be visiting" is used to ask about future plans in it and whether I can rewrite it with the future progressive:

Will you be visiting Greece again this summer?

• heypresto

English - England
    Your re-written sentence is grammatically correct, but it doesn't mean quite the same as the original sentence. In the original you are asking about the likelihood of the person's going to Greece. In the second, you are asking if they will be going.

Bob8964

Chinese
    I'm still not very clear about the meaning of the original, could you tell me the difference between the following tow sentences?
    1. Are you likely to be visiting Greece again this summer?

2.Are you likely to visit Greece again this summer?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Practically very little difference, if any.

We tend to use the progressive more in speech because it makes things more 'vivid'; the other version (sentence 2) is more neutral.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Will you be visiting Greece again this summer?

Are you likely to visit Greece again this summer?

I don't feel that there is any difference in meaning or context between the two "likely" questions, but I think there is a slight difference between these and the "will you" question.

The will you question is asking about actual plans, so my answer is going to be some variation on "Yes", "No", or "I don't know yet."

The "likely" questions are asking about likelihood/possibility, so my answer is probably going to be some variation on "Yes" or "No". A bit like "Are you thinking of visiting Greece this summer?"

< Previous | Next >