Are you open?

Brian P

Если я хочу спросить владелица ресторана или магазина открыто или закрыто ли помещение, могу спросить по-английски, "Are you open/closed?". Можно спросить по-русски, "Открыты/Закрыты ли вы"? Или надо спросить, "Открыт ли ваш ресторан/магазин?"

• ekhlewagastiR

Russian (languages RUS, SWE, ENG, GER, ESP)
    Если я хочу спросить владельца ресторана или магазина, открыто или закрыто ли помещение, могу спросить по-английски, "Are you open/closed?". Можно ли спросить по-русски, "Открыты/Закрыты ли вы"? Или надо спросить, "Открыт ли ваш ресторан/магазин?"

Я немножко подправила :)
    Да, можно так сказать. Например,

Вы открыты по понедельникам?
    или
    В каком часу вы открываетесь? и т.д.

Если я хочу спросить владелица ресторана или магазина открыто или закрыто ли помещение, могу спросить по-английски, "Are you open/closed?". Можно спросить по-русски, "Открыты/Закрыты ли вы"? Или надо спросить, "Открыт ли ваш ресторан/магазин?"

Yes, quite. You can say: Вы открыты? Вы закрыты?
    Or add: Вы уже открыты/закрыты? Вы еще открыты/закрыты?
    Alternatively, one may say: Ваш ресторан\магазин открыт/закрыт?
    But this is more appropriate when talking to the actual owner, usually when he/she is the only one in the shop/restaurant. One does not say that to porters, waiters barmaids, shop assistants etc. I`ve heard it in the Caucasus when people address the owner of a small shop who is the shop assistant at the same time.

ekhlewagastiR

But this is more appropriate when talking to the actual owner, usually when he/she is the only one in the shop/restaurant. One does not say that to porters, waiters barmaids, shop assistants etc.

I disagree:)
    It´s absolutely OK if you enter to a restaurant/shop whether it´s big or small and direct your question to the first representative of the staff you see :)
    At least in St. Petersburg and Moscow it´s so.

Etcetera

Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    Yes, quite. You can say: Вы открыты? Вы закрыты?
    Or add: Вы уже открыты/закрыты? Вы еще открыты/закрыты?
    Alternatively, one may say: Ваш ресторан\магазин открыт/закрыт?
    One more variant which I usually prefer: Вы работаете?

Brian P

This is very interesting, Etcetera, because to ask somebody in a store (BE shop) or any public business in an English speaking country, "are you working?", would, in this context, not be very polite. It would not mean, "are you open?", but instead imply that he was loafing instead of working.

However, "are you working?", can also mean, "are you currently employed?" and this of course is a perfectly polite and acceptable question.

Etcetera

Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    In Russian, it sounds absolutely OK. That must have something to do with cultural differences! :)
    Thanks for this note, really useful information to remember!

Brian P

a really useful information to remember!

Those cursed English articles again! "Information" can take the definite article, e.g. "The information was very useful", but not the indefinite article. So you can say either, "Really useful information" or, "A really useful piece of information". Don't ask me what the grammar rule is here. I just know it from usage.

Another cultural language difference is the Russian use of Женщина when addressing a female whose name you don't know. To address a female as "woman" in any anglophone country would be very rude.

Moved here.

ekhlewagastiR

I also use this verb but it needs something to be added like

Вы работаете по понедельникам?
    Вы работаете без обеда? (which means if the shop closes for the lunch break or not)

If you just ask Вы работаете? it do looks like supervising the staff :)