Are you queuing up ?

claude23

Banned
FRANCE
Good evening ,

Is it that right way of saying are you queuing up ? or are you on the queue ? are they both correct ?

Thank you,

Claude.

• blancalaw

USA, English
    What on earth is a queue? I think of pool like a cue ball (don't know how it is spelled), but I guess it is another word for line. I would say "are you in line", I never heard of "on line" unless one is using the internet. I think I need to travel more.

irisheyes0583

English (USA)
    blancalaw said:
    What on earth is a queue? I think of pool like a cue ball (don't know how it is spelled), but I guess it is another word for line. I would say "are you in line", I never heard of "on line" unless one is using the internet. I think I need to travel more.
    Hahaha! :D

A queue is a line and it's BE. If you've ever used a certain online movie store, you'll notice you put the movies you want to see in "your queue"...

As for "in line" and "on line"... in PA where I grew up, we always waited "in line", but here in VA, many people wait "on line". Same difference!

Brioche

Australia English
    blancalaw said:
    A queue is a line of people (or vehicles) awaiting their turn to be attended to or to proceed.

Comes from the same Latin root as cue.

BasedowLives

uSa
    I've seen this online and in every p2p program i have. But I've never heard anybody actually say it outloud, so could you guys tell me....

How do you pronounce it? Kwhoa or Cue?:confused:

irisheyes0583

English (USA)
    BasedowLives said:
    I've seen this online and in every p2p program i have. But I've never heard anybody actually say it outloud, so could you guys tell me....

How do you pronounce it? Kwhoa or Cue?:confused:
    Oooh, the Brits must be laughing at us now! :D

It's pronounced like "cue" or "kyu". (Phonetically: kyoo)

You little ripper!

Australian English
    la reine victoria said:
    Both are correct, Claude, except for a small adjustment to example 2. 'Are you in the queue? This is most commonly used in BrE.

LRV
    My correction of example 2 in post 2 is definitely not as clearly defined as yours, Her Majesty. :eek:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A small observation: the term "Queuing Theory" seems to be applied universally.

Queuing theory is the mathematical study of waiting lines (or queues). There are several related processes, arriving at the back of the queue, waiting in the queue (essentially a storage process), and being served by the server at the front of the queue. It is applicable in transport and telecommunication ...
    Wiki

I mention this only because it is part of the reason that I am surprised that people are not familiar with the word queue.

anything

English - UK
    panjandrum said:
    I mention this only because it is part of the reason that I am surprised that people are not familiar with the word queue.
    Me too, I would never have guessed they didn't use it in the US.
    If I was queuing up for something and someone said to me "Are you in line?", I think it would sound a bit rude. If they asked me "Are you on line?" and I didn't have any kind of portable electronic device in my hand that could connect to the Internet, I would probably just think they were crazy. :D

< Previous | Next >