Are you sure?

• Strutter

Japanese.
    Though it depends on what is your situation."Are you sure" most likely is "大丈夫?"(だいじょうぶ?). This phrase is extremely useful among Japanese.

adexx

Vietnamese
    Really? It sounds a bit strange to my (foreign) ear.
    Anyway, I wanted to ask "Are you sure?" to confirm someone's choice (E.g. when shopping for something).

Strutter

Japanese.
    ah... sorry I made a mistake.
    Now, I guess then you think "I don't choice that if I were you" .
    "マジ?" is most likely as "Are you sure?", I think. "マジ?" is very useful and casual. </p>

Last edited:

Catnails

Japanese
    (本当に)それでいいの?
    それで良いのですか?
    間違いないの?
    間違いありませんか?

Depending on whom you are talking with and how you say it, these questions could get you in trouble because of the implication that you are disagreeing with his or her choice. Asking a question in Japanese in many cases is regarded not as an expression of the neutral posiotion but, rather, as an expression of doubt, a negative disagreement. This is one of the reasons why the Japanese usually appear to hesitate to ask questions to others in almost all situations one encounters in daily life.

Δημήτρης

Cypriot Greek
    Is (それで)よろしいでしょうか suitable in that context?
    I actually see that phrase in videogames, when you are asked to confirm a major change in the settings, like erasing saved data or creating a new profile.
    I suppose it occurs in real life as well...

almostfreebird

Born and raised in Japón, soy japonés
    quote:"マジ?" is most likely as "Are you sure?", I think. "マジ?" is very useful and casual.:unquote

マジ?(kind of slang) is more likely "Are you serious?" or "Really?".

To confirm someone's choice politely, like "Would that be all right with you?",

"(それで)よろしいでしょうか" is the expression.

"(それで)よろしいでしょうか" is the expression of a store clerk or a dealer(in gamble).

"それでいい?" is casual and friendly expression.

Last edited:

Polyglotta

German,French,Japanese
    If I accompany a friend to a デパート,and I am skeptical about his/her choice, Then I would say 「大丈夫」, too、as Strutter suggests in his first reply. Catnails examples are also fine, but I think in the described situation, 「だいじょうぶ」fits best.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    If I accompany a friend to a デパート,and I am skeptical about his/her choice, Then I would say 「大丈夫」, too、as Strutter suggests in his first reply.
    But it's a bit tricky. Always make sure to indicate the object of your concern.

E.g., これで大丈夫?
    こんなに小さなサイズで本当に大丈夫?
    etc.

I assume you are using 「大丈夫?」 to enquire if the listener is not going to regret their choice, but you'd probably like to take some care not to let the listener misunderstand 大丈夫 being used in its primary meaning, i.e., healthy. If the listener chooses to select this meaning—and I am telling you that it is very easy to be selected when the listener is a little insecure about their shopping choice—, you might be understood as questioning the listener's taste in clothes or, worse, their state of mind.

< Previous | Next >