area of study

• Loob

English UK
    Would it be correct to say "area of study" if I'm talking about a region I'm conducting a study about? It sounds to me that if I say "area of study" I mean an area of knowledge like philosophy, biology, and so on
    I agree with you about the usual meaning of "area of study", Esther; and I'd say "field of study", as suggested by candy-man, would have the same difficulty.

One option might be "area under study". But we really need the context to give you a proper answer.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I'm a little confused. Are you looking for a word about the subject you are studying or the geographical location where you are doing research? If you would give us a complete sentence and a bit more context, it would be helpful.

Esther55

It's the title of a paragraph ("Area of Study). Im conducting a health study in a geographical area. You know, I quite like "Area under study", it's less ambiguous.
    Hope this answers your question, Nun-Translator
    many thanks

Last edited:

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    "Area" could still be ambiguous unless the title of the study is such that it is clear that it refers to a geographic region.

Packard

USA, English
    I thing "Geographic Area" is the ideal term to represent "Geographic Area".

Everything else seems to fall short.

< Previous | Next >