area or domain

popup

Chinese
Hello,

Could I know the accurate word I should use in this context? Thank you! Is it an area, domain, position, or anything else? The only thing I know is that I should not call it "function" because functions usually refer to different business units in a company, such as marketing, R&D, sales, etc.

Eg:
Whenever learning a new thing, Tom likes learning it thoroughly. To thoroughly learn the software engineering process, Tom has worked in every area of the software engineering process, from user research, design, code and testing.

• Linkway

British English
    'Stage' implies a set sequence, which may be appropriate.

Possibly 'aspect' if you do not want to imply a fixed sequence.

I would avoid 'domain' in that IT context; besides being no the most appropriate word, it is also used with a very different meaning when talking about the Internet.

popup

Chinese
    Hi Glasguensi, Panjandrum and Linkway, thank you very much for your useful suggestion!

Besides part and aspect, can we use "area"?

For example:
    Tom is familiar with every area of software engineering, from user research, design, code and testing.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Tom is familiar with every area of software engineering
    In this sentence, I would be happy to use 'area', though I would prefer 'aspect'.
    As you have omitted 'process', I would be less comfortable with 'stage'.

popup

Chinese
    Hi Panjandrum,

Oh, I see. Thank you very much for your reply! Your comments are very useful to me.

< Previous | Next >