Area partitioned for common staff

tievoli

P.R.China
Hi,

I am a Chinese, not sure the what should be the best words to express the following I want:

1) the area (around 1.5 square meter) partioned for common staff in an office;
2) the area (around 10 square meters) partioned for manager in an office

Thanks for your kindly assistance in advance!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello tievoli, and welcome to the WordReference forums.

I agree with badgrammar's suggestions, but with some reservations.
    1) the area (around 1.5 square meter) partitioned for common staff in an office;
    2) the area (around 10 square meters) partitioned for manager in an office
    An area of 1.5 square metres is very small. My coffee table is bigger than that.

Panj

tievoli

P.R.China
    Thanks a lot for your warmhearted replies! But actually the cubicle is indeed only 1.5 square meters for common staff in our company :(

atlasan

USA English
    Hi, Tievoli!

May I offer a suggestion? Be sure to form general questions with "Can...?" as your first word.

EX: "Can anybody tell me the words I want?

All the best to you!

GenJen54

USA - English
    But actually the cubicle is indeed only 1.5 square meters for common staff in our company
    When I was in college, we used to study in small isolated desk-like areas called study carrels. They looked like this. I'm not certain, however, if carrel is applicable in an office situation.

I would agree that cubicle (pictured here) is very common.

Edit: Here's another photo of carrels. These look more applicable in offices.

tievoli

P.R.China
    Dear Genjen, thanks a lot for your detailed reply, especially the pictures you attached. Could you tell me how to do that? 'cause that surely can have others learn more clearly.

GenJen54

USA - English
    Hi tievoli,

Actually, only members who have more than thirty (30) posts are allowed to post links. Fear not, however. If you would like to post a link, you are welcome to send a Private Message to one of the Forum moderators and they will be glad to help you out.

When you do reach your first thirty posts, you will be able to post links. Per Forum guidelines, only links to non-commercial sites are allowed.

To post a link, you need to do the following:

1) Copy the URL of the link you wish to post:
    2) Select (using your mouse) a word in your text that you would like to link to;
    3) Click on the "link" button (the small "globe" with the chain in it) located in the toolbar on the Quick Reply or Advanced Reply window;
    3a) a Pop-Up Window should appear;
    4) Paste the link's URL into the Pop-Up Window, then hit "submit."

The word you selected should then appear like this, which means that the link has been successfully attached.

mora

Canada, English
    Hello

There is a difference between '1.5 square meters' and '1. 5 meters square'.
    1.5 square meters could be a space 1 meter by .5 meter, or could be 1.2247 meters by 1.2247 meters or any other dimensions.

1.5 meters square means a square 1.5 meters by 1.5 meters, which would have an area of 2.25 square meters, which is not that unusual for common office space.

Mora

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    1.5 square meters could be a space 1 meter by .5 meter, or could be 1.2247 meters by 1.2247 meters or any other dimensions.
    I'm going to be mathematically pedantic for a moment - because I feel like it:cool:
    A space 1m by 0.5m is 0.5sqm - but that's probably a typo - I guess mora meant 1m by 1.5m.

"... or any other dimensions." is bit too general. The dimensions must enclose 1.5sqm, so length x width must = 1.5. That could, of course, be 10m by 15cm... but I should try not to be ridiculous.

Coming back to the original question about:
    1) the area (around 1.5sqm) partitioned for common staff in an office;

This suggested to me a common area shared by all staff, not the area allocated to each of the "common staff". Common is not an appropriate adjective in this context. The statement would be OK as:
    1) the area (around 1.5sqm) partitioned for office staff;

< Previous | Next >