Area prova calzature

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by lorenam06, Jul 3, 2011.

1. lorenam06 Member

Chieti (Italy)
    italian
    "Area prova calzature" in un negozio di scarpe può essere tradotto con "trying shoes area"? Si tratta della descrizione di un'area in un progetto.

2. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Hmmm we'll see what others say but I think you have to include the word "on" somewhere since you try shoes on when you're looking to see if they fit. Since this is a shoe store maybe simply "try-on area" or "try-on sitting"?

3. lorenam06 Member

Chieti (Italy)
    italian
    "Try-on sitting" nel senso che le scarpe si provano da seduti? Sarebbe ottimo perchè dovrei descrivre anche la seduta per la prova calzature...?

4. johngiovanni

johngiovanni Senior Member

I have seen "trying-on area" (occasionally in inverted commas). Sometimes the same phrase is used without the hyphen: "trying on area'.

5. gandolfo

gandolfo Senior Member

Back in Roma Roma
    English-British
    Hi rose and lorenam :)

personally not convinced by the "try-on sitting" sounds weird to me ;)
    how about "shoe fitting area" or "trying-on area" :)

also hi john:)

6. lorenam06 Member

Chieti (Italy)
    italian

Shoe fitting area mi sembra adatto. Grazie.

7. lorenam06 Member

Chieti (Italy)
    italian
    o..."shoes fitting area"

8. gandolfo

gandolfo Senior Member

Back in Roma Roma
    English-British
    No, :D "shoe" ;)

9. johngiovanni

Hi, gandolfo! You are, of course correct - never "shoes-fitting area" in English. Interestingly, this area of the shop is rarely labelled in the shop itself, and there would be no need to label it in the shop as it's pretty obvious what those seats are for. However, I do know with certainty that "trying-on area" or "trying on area" is used when people are describing the layout of a shop. There may be other terms, but I do know that this one is frequently used and would make perfectly clear sense in English. And "try-on sitting" would never be used.

10. lorenam06 Member

Chieti (Italy)
    italian
    Really I don'tt need to labell this area, I need to write a list of items to put into a plan of the showroom and there are some carpets but only one of these is for the "shoe fitting area"...
    Anyway thank you very much to all of you

11. johngiovanni

As I thought, there is usually no need to label. I have never seen a label in a shop. Then my suggestion is "trying-on area" in the UK. (I personally would keep the hyphen). But "shoe fitting area" would also serve - it would be understood perfectly.

12. clare lorraine Senior Member

English - Italy
    Try googling "shoe fitting area" - 1190 hits!

13. johngiovanni

So, you take your pick! (Both will serve well). Incidentally, I have even seen "shoe-trying-on area" with two hyphens!