Aren't you hurt?

Ptak

Rußland
Hi everyone!

Is there any difference between "Aren't you hurt?" and "Are you hurt?" ?
I think that when I really care about, I'd ask "Are you hurt (darling, honey, etc)?", but if I want to ask with sarcasm, I'd say "Aren't you hurt (you superman / Hercules ...)?"
Does it make sense?

Thanks.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    I don't think it has anything to do with your relationship to the person, it's more down to your expectations. If it doesn't appear that the person is hurt, when I might expect them to be, I would say "Aren't you hurt?" If I have no idea whether they are hurt or not I would say "Are you hurt?".

padredeocho

Banned
    United States
    Hi everyone!

Is there any difference between "Aren't you hurt?" and "Are you hurt?" ?
    I think that when I really care about, I'd ask "Are you hurt (darling, honey, etc)?", but if I want to ask with sarcasm, I'd say "Aren't you hurt (you superman / Hercules ...)?"
    Does it make sense?

Thanks.
    When you say "aren't you" you are often implying that it is obvious - and may be making a statement hidden as a question (in other wordsk asking a rhetorical question).

Example: If a person wearing a cast on his arm is lifting a heavy box, you would say, "aren't you supposed to be avoiding heavy lifting?" In other words, HEY STUPID, YOU HAVE A CAST ON YOUR ARM, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU LIFTING THAT?

If you say "are you supposed to be avoiding heavy lifting?" You really want to know. In other words, it is not a rhetorical question.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    I can imagine someone saying that, Ptak. For example:

"Wow! I just saw you fall head-first down those stairs, but now you're walking around as though you were fine. Didn't you hurt yourself?"

Ptak

Rußland
    Thank you, cycloneviv.

But if he has just fallen, and then got up, could you say "Oh my God!.. Didn't you hurt yourself?"

< Previous | Next >