"Aren't you smart"--sarcastic?

cheshire

Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
Is saying "Aren't you smart?" really sarcastic? One book I'm reading says it is, and should be "You are smart, aren't you."

• Heba

Egypt, Arabic
    I also read that ''you are dazzling, fascinating , brilliant'' are also sarcastic
    I think it all depends on the situation and the tone of the speaker

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Is saying "Aren't you smart?" really sarcastic? One book I'm reading says it is, and should be "You are smart, aren't you."
    It seems to me that you're actually asking a question, either way (Are you not smart?") and that question implies that there is a question about the person's intelligence. If it's a sincere comment, you would simply say "You are smart" or "You are very smart" or some sort of affirmative comment as opposed to a questioning phrase. I know we can get into all manner of discussion about the phrase "aren't you?" but in this context, it sounds sarcastic to my ears.

cheshire

Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
    Thanks for the compliment, Mr DotCom!
    You are SO sweet!
    I like you especially your reaction to my sense of humor, which have been(fortunately?) lost on you.
    You are like an angel to me!

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    You misunderstand cheshire.
    It is my habit when I encounter sarcasm to ignore the sarcasm and treat the sarcasm as though it was genuine and I have found that this does nothing but confuse the sarcastic.
    I can not understand what I have said in this post to cause you to bandy words with me.
    I still stand by my first post on this matter.
    I can see no difference between;
    Aren't you smart.
    and
    You are smart, aren't you.

.,,!

< Previous | Next >