argue about or over

hakanhasan

türkçe
hello dear word reference forums members
I don't understand the differences between under mentioned sentences
I never argue with my husband about money- I never argue with my husband over money.
especially it is difficult for me to understand the sentence with over. I will be very glad also to you if you correct me whether I have written above right in gramamatical to express my question

• la grive solitaire

United States, English
    I don't understand the differences between the sentences above
    I never argue with my husband about money- I never argue with my husband over money.
    especially it is difficult for me to understand the sentence with over. I will be very glad also to you if you correct me whether I have written above right in gramamatical to express my question
    Hello hakanhasan,

For me, there's no difference: They're just two ways of saying the same thing. You can substitute about for over, or over for about!

When we argue, it's usually over who does the dishes.
    When we argue, it's usually about who does the dishes.

When the neighbors argue over something, it's about mowing the lawn.
    When the neighbors argue about something, it's over mowing the lawn.

Black Sheep

England, English
    I don't understand the differences between the under mentioned sentences
    Especially it is difficult for me to understand the sentence with over. I will be very glad also to you if you correct tell me whether I have written the above right in gramamatical in correct grammar to express my question.
    Either sentence is correct.

Your grammar is also correct.

ckj2

English, Canada
    In some cases either word can be used (as in the examples above), but there are some cases when it is better to use one over the other:

Argue about
    something: you are arguing about an opinion or something philosophical, and which person is right. It is more abstract.
    "They argued about politics"
    "They argued about the meaning of life"
    In those two sentences generally argue over would sound weird.

Argue over: they are arguing over some object (who gets it) or who has to do something. it is more personal, related to some outcome that will happen after the argument.
    "They argued over whose turn it was to do the dishes" (I suppose you could also use argue about here, but personally I find argue over is more natural).
    "They argued over the last piece of cake" = they are fighting over who will get to eat it. However: "They argued about the last piece of cake" = they disagree about some characteristic of the cake: maybe they argued about whether it was tasty or not.

There may be other situations where they are used differently but that's the best analysis I can think of right now.

nh01

Turkish
    Is "argue over" instead of "argue about" the better choice in the following sentence? Thanks.

He is always arguing over her problems with me.

< Previous | Next >