argue with a red brick

nhungiu

Vietnamese
I read this phrase in the scripts of a TV show. Please help me to understand it

<<...>>
He’s worked on a lot of big shows. So, when he doesn’t hear things like “Action” or “Cut,” he gets very confused. Dave, as you know, would argue with a red brick. So, it’s just, it’s just so much fun to watch.
<<...>>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello nhungiu - welcome to WordReference :)

When you quote text you may quote up to four sentences, and you must tell us about the source.

Someone who would argue with a red brick is extremely argumentative, and likely to disagree with anyone at any time about anything - even something really trivial.

He is so argumentative that he could pick an argument with a brick :)

mplsray

I read this phrase in the scripts of a TV show. Please help me to understand it

<<...>>
    He’s worked on a lot of big shows. So, when he doesn’t hear things like “Action” or “Cut,” he gets very confused. Dave, as you know, would argue with a red brick. So, it’s just, it’s just so much fun to watch.
    <<...>>
    I think this is a variation on the expression "you might as well argue with a brick wall," which is a means of saying that the argument in question is pointless, as the wall will obviously not change its opinion. In this case, the person in question likes to argue, and would happily argue with a brick wall (or here, a red brick)--he does not care that he has no chance of changing the opinion of his opponent.

< Previous | Next >